Bulletins & Advisories How to Enter the HFT Self-Diagnostic Function

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Service News, Thursday 16th Aug, 2012.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    This step by step guide can be done on your own drive without the need of visiting a Honda dealership.

This guide is to give you pointers on any specific issue you may encounter, the guide is hints and tip and any DTC code should not be interpreted as system failure. For in depth clarification you will need to visit the Honda dealer to a through investigation or you can come to yours truly.

To run the Self-Diagnostic Function, do the following:
    • Turn the ignition switch ACC (I)
    • Press and hold the HFT BACK button for more than 5 seconds.
    • When the hands free telephone system enters the self-diagnostic function, the word ‘‘DIAGNOSTIC MODE'' is displayed on the multi-information display (MID) on the gauge control module.
    • If the system has not completed testing for DTCs, the hands free telephone control unit audibly outputs ‘‘The hands free system test is in progress''.
    • If there is no DTC, the hands free telephone control unit audibly outputs ‘‘The hands free system is OK''.
    • If there is any DTC, the hands free telephone control unit audibly outputs ‘‘The hands free system needs to be serviced''.
    NOTE: The self-diagnostic function can only be initiated while the HFT is in its idle state i.e not in use.
    The self-diagnostic function is considered to start once the 5 seconds press and hold is detected, and ends when the units returns to idle state.

Exiting the Self-Diagnostic Mode
    • Press the HFT BACK button and exit the self-diagnostic mode.
    HFT.JPG

2. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi
    For us newbies, please could you explain what "DTC" means and how to put the HFT into "Idle" state.
    thanks

Last edited: Wednesday 21st Nov, 2012
  3. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Idle state don't get you what are you trying to achieve.?

DTC Diagnostic Troubleshooting Code, commonly called error code, Christmas lights.:Xmas::Xmas:

4. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    I now get what you mean by " idle state" you are referring to The self-diagnostic function can only be initiated while the HFT is in its idle state.

It means you should not be making a call via the HFT whilst doing this procedure and the system should be in idle status or not in use..

5. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
  6. tals Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Miles Romsey
    My HFT hasn't worked for some time, but when I was trying to resolve it Honda kindly took a unit out from another honda and tried it in and it still didn't work :Frown: So just be warned it may not be the HFT (or so Honda would lead me to believe). So i'd be tempted to take it to honda first and see if they will swap a unit in just to test it first.

7. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    @tals anymore updates on this mate?

8. kevb1 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom kev baldwin Dalton-in-Furness
    Hi. When I press and hold HFT back button, nothing happens. When I press HFT answer button nothing happens either and the Bluetooth symbol no longer appears on the readout. In fact the whole system is quite dead. Sounds painful. Anyone got any ideas?

9. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Do you have a problem with battery drain?

If you do that's a good sign that the bluetooth module has failed... However, if no drain and you don't get a bong with you hit the button, or the voice command. Then there's a good chance the BT module has been unplugged (because it's failed)

There are a number of things you can do, pop the top cover of the dash above the satnav unit... use a thin pry tool and it pulls forward a fraction before lifting up.

You can't miss the module.. it's in the middle with a green plug connector.

There's a guide on here regarding 'the great bluetooth bake off' it's something I've done myself. Have a read of that and it won't hurt to try if yours has failed... what are you going to do... break it? :Smile:

For some people... it works as the problem can be a dry solder joint and baking it 'may' help reflow the solder... But for others some thing on the unit has failed and it can't be sorted.

I have heard of services out there that can repair units... But from what I've seen they can cost around £200 or more... and for that sort of money you can fit a top of the range parrot kit, or an x-carlink kit with BT for around £140... There's also Grom units (similar to the x-carlink) but the UK reseller are a joke and are not to be trusted (They go under the names carputer and or mannocks on ebay, amazon and have their own dodgy website). If you go for a grom, buy direct from Grom in the US as they are actually helpful... the UK seller are nothing more than thieves and con artists in my opinion. I've not heard anything bad about the x-carlink... it used to be an iphone only bit of kit, but apparently now works with android phones too.

10. kevb1 New Member Getting Started

Thanks for your reply, buddy. Haven't noticed a battery drain or any other symptoms except the Bluetooth "B" is not showing on the display. Would this fault show up on a OBD fault readout? I'll try to find that module but when I pry things I'm always wary of bearing them. cheers.

11. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

It's nothing to do with the OBD

12. kevb1 New Member Getting Started

Thanks buddy. Struggling to find the unit. There is a small panel above the satnav screen but this only contains a speaker. Is the module under the speaker somewhere?

13. Aggel321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Axel Kilbirnie
    Erm, first of all which car (model, make, equipment etc) do you have? As you haven't finished the 'complete' registration yet it is hard to guess.

If it is an Accord 7th then it is under the top panel with the clock unit. If it however is another model you should post in the appropriate section.

Ta, Axel

14. kevb1 New Member Getting Started

I'm new here. Sorry if my post is in the wrong place. My car is 2014 so its gen 8 or 9 I think.

15. Aggel321 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Axel Kilbirnie
    That's why you didn't see/notice the top panel mentioned above. If you post it in the correct section you will be helped.

Ta, Axel

16. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

As you posted in the 7th Generation section... we assumed you had a 7th Generation (2003-2008).

I went to move the thread, then realised it wasn't started by the same person... so it's still in the 7th Generation section.

@kevb1 you'll need to ask in the 8th Generation section.

It's also worth adding your car to the garage and a pic or two... so people can easily see what car you have.