General Honda set to close Swindon Plant

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by qc2, Monday 18th Feb, 2019.

1. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    honda_saj likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very sad, just seen it on BBC news. On top of all the other recent vehicle manufacturing closures and departures, things are currently looking pretty bad in the UK.

honda_saj and Hondafanat like this.
  4. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

very sad, this could be the first of many such moves by manufacturers in the UK.

honda_saj likes this.
  5. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I agree it's a massive deal. Nissan from Sunderland, Honda from Swindon. It's only the start

honda_saj likes this.
  6. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

JLR is leaving and Ford have threatened to.

honda_saj likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Where did you hear that?

8. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

talk of moving to slovakia but not sure if it's confirmed

9. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Yes, that was my understanding that it wasn't confirmed.

10. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

11. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hard to be optimistic about such news but if it means Honda will be importing everything in future perhaps a return for the Accord is on the cards.

Zebster likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Ah yes, that they are doing for sure.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I was thinking exactly this but probably won't see it for a while yet.

13. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

2022 is the date being mentioned and I highly doubt it'd be maximum production maintained until then. it'll be a slow gradual process, dropping model by model and by volumes as it increases and gets picked up elsewhere.

At some stage in between they will need to started re-introducing imported models so I think it'll be sooner than you might think. It's just at what price! It will be all change from the Honda showrooms we see today and a change from the questionable strategy they've adopted more recently.

Change is a must. Selling imported models at the current volumes won't work. Whether they start going after volume sales or re-positioning to more luxury or even an Acura type model in the US... A marketing and sales dream. They will need to get it right though as they might not get a second chance at it which is scary to think

14. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    Honda has been suffering for years, with only about 1% of the European market and not a lot of profit. They have had problems in the USA and CHina.
    They have been making some rather good cars, Civic,( my son has the older model and no way was he going to buy the newer shape Civic) but they are ugly and people have gone elsewhere. The C.R.V. was moved back to Japan, so the writing was on the wall for the UK plant. SO this shutdown was on the cards, and BREXIT probably brought if forward.

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Sky reporting that Honda plant in Turkey also closing as there is 'no business reason' to manufacture in Europe. I didn't know they had a plant in Turkey...

The Nissan decision not to produce the X-Trail in U.K. also makes sense. Original plan was that it would be diesel powered. With the collapse in diesel sales it will now be hybrid...with the engine made in Japan, no sense in shipping it to UK to put into a car where most of the sales will be outside of the EU.

JLR - as with many manufacturers - are trying to deal with collapsing diesel sales, and a slowdown in Chinese sales, as well as potential Brexit impacts. Truth is the motor manufacturers didn't see the diesel backlash coming. Well, Lexus did...

honda_saj and John Dickson like this.
  16. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    The EU has just signed a free trade agreement with Japan which means no more tariffs on Japanese cars imported into Europe and 90% of Swindon cars are sold to the EU.

Zebster likes this.
  17. Hondalad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Steve Derbyshire
    The Nissan decision doesn't seem to be because of Brexit either because they're not moving it to their Spanish plant.

18. Accord_N22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very sad news!
    The Jazz is probably the most popular Honda in the UK, but as mentioned Honda has been suffering here for quite some time.
    Probably after they dropped the 7th Generation Accord, they started to go down hill.

Hopefully we can still buy their parts, albeit i reckon the prices will be increased after brexit.

19. qc2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

basically this. it probably would've happened anyway but with brexit looming it makes no business sense to hold out. what it does mean is that the UK will suffer a double whammy potentially. the obvious loss of jobs, not only directly at the plant but all the regional suppliers and small businesses that rely on the plant being there, and also potentially having to pay tariffs on importing Hondas where our EU counterparts otherwise wouldn't.

I'd like to think that if the EU can strike a free trade agreement with Japan, the UK would be able to follow suit but I'm not holding my breath. That only gets around the tariffs for importing cars and does nothing to aid what will be a much needed recovery for those affected by the plant closing.

honda_saj likes this.
  20. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    This will most likely push up the pricing of honda cars and parts most likely as well.