Honda reliability? No chance.

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by Porker, Sunday 6th Dec, 2009.

1. Porker New Member Getting Started

Royally pissed off.

Spent 3 months sorting out the Lude, waiting and getting closer and closer.

Buy a gearbox for it.

Fit it.

Drive it and all is fantastic.

2 days later, it shits iself. No 4th gear. :Frown:

Won't upshift in tiptronic, won't engage 4th. So basically it's scrap again.

Why, oh why couldn'y Honda make a gearbox that just worked? 2 days...

Anyway, I'm off to buy an Impreza. Ciao.

2. Kadir Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is no good!

Maybe the gearbox you bought was on it's last toes?

Subaru!? :Grin:

3. gorath23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can totally understand your frustration but I don't think that anyone is going to agree with you on this. Because of my job I get to drive a lot of new production vehicles and not one of them (bearing in mind this includes Jaguar, Mercedes, Ford, Toyota etc) even come close to my Y21 in the SiR. Easily one of the best gearbox designers in the world. Sadly you just seem to have had two of the duff ones.

4. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ouch man...still, i think you should get a decent one...as said above, could be bad luck on those two?

5. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

told you it was screaming for a manual conversion

they scrotoboxes are a nightmare

my mate still hasnt got his back

6. M1N1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why did you buy the tiptronic?

Are you a fat buisness man....

....oh wait! All joking aside, im pretty sure this a is a common problem with the tiptronic boxes, how about getting it rebuilt?

7. Porker New Member Getting Started

8. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i flung a manual box in the bin porker :lol:

must be loads of 5th gens breaking on PUK!

9. Stu-VT Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Stuart Bedfordshire
    To be honest, I read recently in Honda Tuning that there is apparently the 'Prelude curse'. They seem to be the least reliable. (in the states more so), electrics seeming to be the worst.

I've had 2 mates with 'ludes and one blew its normal auto box and he babied it so it was a shock, and another had a tiptronic and although the 'box was ok, he had loads of weird gremilins that the experts said was electrical.

So is the curse real.... ;-)

10. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

id say there pretty reliable. But everyone knows the engines are strong and quite revvy so canes them. Probably not changing the gearbox oil as often as they should, so we buy the box and it goes bang.

Get an ATR LSD box, first day of looking on forums id bought one. Tho i sold it 2 weeks ago im afraid

11. Porker New Member Getting Started

Fuck it, I'm going to break it for parts and get something else....

12. forgedb18 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

mardigras motorsport do ful rebuilds for 1042 includin vat n this was suplyin new 3rd n 5th for the better ratio n feck me has this made a diffrnce to ma mates teg,, ino how disheartenin this is tho

13. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can't say Honda's are unreliable because you bought a shit one mate... Ludes are cheap as chips, A new 2nd had box are only

14. Porker New Member Getting Started

15. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cool, what you getting bud, Or are you keeping it under your hat for now?

16. Porker New Member Getting Started

Just til tomorrow dudr to ensure I actually buy it...

17. Bong Guest

I don't blame you, manual conversion would be a pain and expensive and the boxes are a ticking time bomb if you replace it again as you know

Look forward to see what your getting hopefully it works out better than this did

18. Porker New Member Getting Started

Same here Blong, hope its ok. Lol.

Not worth throwing

19. pattys civic ep3 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

fuck that buddy buy one thats a manual lol!... good luck with what ever u do man must be gutting driving it for such a short time and it bust!

20. kahn_v Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

theres a place in halifax thats got a full Prelude breaking... its manual as well.