General Honda Elysion smart card

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by laurentjanot, Wednesday 7th Feb, 2018.

1. laurentjanot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Laurent Slough
    Hi lucky Elysion owners,

Does anyone have the smart card option with their Elysion? I was wondering if there was anyway to start the engine with the standard key without the smart card present. I don't have any problem with the smart card right now but I would feel a lot more comfortable if I knew that the car can be started without it, in case...

Thanks

Laurent

2. Ichiban Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Never seen on can you take some pictures of this set up please.

andy83 likes this.
  3. laurentjanot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This is a photo of the smart card. It allows keyless entry and keyless start

IMG_3132.

andy83 likes this.
  4. Trickytree Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy Nottingham
    first time I've seen one, interesting, from sounds of it it sounds more of a hassle having keyless lol

5. laurentjanot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's actually working very well but having only one card makes me nervous lol.

6. Trickytree Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy Nottingham
    know the feeling, i only have one key! although i have a 2nd imported its just nut cut or programmed

laurentjanot likes this.
  7. Treehugger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Edinburgh
    I have the keyless entry too.
    It is really good but I also got 2 original keys with it.
    I did look into this a wee bit before buying and didn’t think it was much of an issue you can get blank keys with the chip and either program it yourself or there are plenty other places that can do it for you.
    That being said if you don’t have a key to fit the barrel that throws up a different issue.

8. laurentjanot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I also have the 2 original keys with it (well I think they are the originals as they car open the door locks) and I can insert the keys in the barrel. It just will not let me turn the key while inside. So I suppose the locks could have been changed in the past. I wanted to double check if there was any special thing to do to start the car with the key. Below is a photo of the set of keys I have (less the spare one that I left at home)

9. Treehugger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Edinburgh
    That’s not the original key.
    The originals are a single key with the remote functions on it.
    This also has the immobiser chip in it that makes it turn in the steering column.

andy83 likes this.
  10. laurentjanot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense. I'll do some more research to find out where I can get a blank key with chip.

11. Whisker Version Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    The RFID chip is secreted in a corner of the remote fob. Sometimes it has its only little compartment in the plastic case. They look either like a tiny glass cylinder, like a dog chip, or are encapsualated in plastic to form a vaguely cuboidal black block. This might explain why the keys tend to be integrated with the fob...so that the RFID chips is close enough to the sensor coil around the lock face.
    Out of curiosity, prise the back off the remote fob, and ferret around. There is a small chance it already has one in, and it just hasn't been close enough to be detected. Whilst you are in there, see if there are any identifying numbers on the fob because I've been struggling to work out whether Honda JDM cars use 314Mhz or 433Mhz, and you'll need to know in order to buy the right key (I think they might be 314Mhz based on the clicks on my FM radio at 104.5Mhz). If you can fathom it out, there are plenty of keys on Ebay for just a few quid, and they come with a blank RFID chip, but they say things like with ID46, or ID48 and I don't quite know whether this makes a difference. I would guess somewhere like Timpson would read your old code and program a new chip.

laurentjanot likes this.
  12. Whisker Version Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    p.s.
    I've just noticed that I have an original spare key that looks just like yours, but mine can start the engine by itself, so it must have the RFID chip moulded into it (there is no way of opening it up), so you might already have an RFID chip present, but it just hasn't been programmed? Maybe someone with the correct reading/writing equipment could confirm its presence?

13. laurentjanot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    This is what I can see when opening the remote fob:

IMG_3506.

It either doesn't have the RFID chip or it isn't programmed as it doesn't allow me to start the car even when close to the sensor.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Is it the key you are referring to? If so I'll find out if it does have a sensor
    Thank you

IMG_3507.

14. Whisker Version Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    Here are two keys. The top key with integrated fob and blade is a £6 ebay one, but it very closely resembles the OEM one. I've circled in reds where the RFID chip fits.

The lower key without a remote fob is my spare one I have, but it does release the steering lock and start the car, so it must have an RFID tag embedded in it. I think it looks the same as yours.
    Even if you have an unprogrammed RFID tag in your key, I'm struggling to see how anyone could programme it for you without a working one to copy the code from?
    I suppose Honda can work these things out from chassis numbers and the like, but with a JDM car....?

The other thing is that I'm struggling to believe you have two spare keys with the correct blades, but no-one programmed the RFID chips on them. I wonder if they can be zapped or broken somehow? Your car's not from Fukushima is it?
    honda spare key.PNG