Service & Maintenance Honda Dealer Using Morris Oils?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by tomwillie, Monday 24th Jun, 2019.

1. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    My wife's 18 reg 2.0 i-VTEC MY15 CR-V had it first service today at 5k miles when I also had the manual transmission oil changed. Main Honda dealer is now using MORRIS lubricants for both engine & manual transmission oil. The service manger is away so I have emailed him requesting confirmation of the blend of 0w20 oil used & if MORRIS Oils are approved by Honda as this make of oil does nor come up in an Opie Oils Selector. Last year in my Civic 1.5 Turbo Castrol Edge Professional (H for Honda) 0w20 was used.
    Is anyone familiar with MORRIS Oils?

Last edited: Tuesday 25th Jun, 2019
  2. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    I have bought 5L can recently from Millers Nanodrive range to service my car. Its very good oils - be assured.
    For gearbox I would stick with ATF/MTF3, but for sure Millers would not harm.

tomwillie and MattBeardless like this.
  3. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    I personally use Millers, as does @Guy at H-Tune , @Pete at H-Tune and @Leo at H-Tune - there's nothing at all wrong with it, if anything it's better than most.

Tranmission oil wise though, I'm still using MTF-3 as it always seem to be the best thing for the job.

honda_saj and tomwillie like this.
  4. K24CL9Guy Evangelist Club Staff

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Yes Millers NT+ is now my go to oil but as above I still stick with genuine Honda lubrication for the gearbox as well as coolant.

5. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Service Manager has now confirmed that Engine Oil used was Morris Multivis ECO S 0W-20
    The invoice describes the manual transmission oil as OIL MORRIS MANUAL GE.
    Its MORRIS OILS that are being used.

The same engine oil will be used in my 1.5 Turbo Prestige when it has its second annual service at about 11k miles tomorrow. I will have another sample of engine oil taken to check for fuel dilution & wear. Last year when tested by Millers Oils at 6125 miles the fuel dilution value of 0.8% was reported as near cautionary limits, but a Silicon value of 83ppm was described as a high metal wear value.
    Can someone edit the Title ie Change Millers to MORRIS.

Last edited: Tuesday 25th Jun, 2019
  6. K24CL9Guy Evangelist Club Staff

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Morris?

7. Mugen_fd2 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

London
    Never hear of them. Could be good oil, but I wouldn't experiment and stick with proven stuff.

8. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    Aylesbury Honda were using Morris oil back in 2015/16 when my CR-V was serviced. Online reviews suggested at the time it is good stuff. I posted something about it I'm sure, but search won't locate the thread for some reason.

tomwillie likes this.
  9. PeteP Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Pete Canterbury
    I would buy Morris oils with absolute confidence. They have been in business for over 100 years, they are a very professional outfit with an excellent reputation.

honda_saj and tomwillie like this.
  10. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    CORRECTION: MORRIS OILS BEING USED
    Reply from Service Manager:
    Dear Mr Williams,
    The oil we currently use is Morris Lubricants, they are the largest manufacturer of oil in Europe,
    The oil spec used is below and the same will be used in your Honda Civic
    Whilst Honda recommend Castrol oil they allow equivalent oils to be used by dealers and recently passed the oil on our Franchise standards audit
    Kind regards
    Bryan
    [​IMG]
    MORRIS OILS do get a favourable mention in Piston Heads & Honest John Forums. This morning when I took my Civic Prestige in for its second year service & mentioned I required a sample taken for testing the Service Manager said he would FoC have a sample tested by MORRIS OILS for comparison.

- - - Updated - - -
    CAN SOMEONE CHANGE TITLE OF POST FROM "MILLERS" TO "MORRIS" ?

11. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    Done.

tomwillie likes this.
  12. cat-guy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cat-guy United Kingdom
    I am not knocking Morris lubricants or any other manufacture oils for that matter of fact, what I will state is that there are many oils conforming to the manufactures grade specification, but only a few that comply with the engine manufactures’ additive pack for which the engine was originally designed. For most case with Honda engines this is either, Castrol, Shell or Mobil oils. Note you should check your user handbook and if in doubt contact Honda for your country.

MattBeardless likes this.
  13. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Norton Way Group are main dealers for Honda, Peugeot, Nissan & Mazda and are now using MORRIS OILS for all these manufacturers vehicles. Having paid for 5 years servicing it is difficult to not use what the main dealer provides. The Service Manager at Norton Way Honda has advised that MORRIS OILS make & blend the oil & also manufacture the additives used in some other brands of oil.
    If you buy a Type-R & intend to track it then it may be better not to buy the Honda 5 year service plan. When I owned an S2000, which I knew had always had Shell Helix oil put in at previous services, Norton Way Honda were happy for me to provide the same oil when I had this car serviced by them even though at the time they were using Castrol Oils.

MattBeardless likes this.
  14. cat-guy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cat-guy United Kingdom
    Tom, I would suggest you speak / clarify your case with Honda UK – Also I would ask your supplying car dealer what are the implications of using a non-authorised Honda lubricate in your engine.

For your information I had the same issue with a so called Honda dealer that tried fobbing me off with non-approved oil, but lucky for me I had already got clarification from Honda UK. Bottom line they replaced my engine oil / filter with Castrol and I transferred my service agreement to another Honda dealer.

15. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I checked with John Banks my other local Honda main dealer & for the past year they have also switched to Morris Multivis oil.
    I have also filled in a Honda UK Contact form to seek confirmation that use of Morris engine oil & manual transmission oil will not in any way invalidate Honda UK warranty. If several dealers are now using Morris oils it is unlikely to be a problem, I will post Honda's reply.

16. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Reply from Honda UK re use of lubricants other than Castrol:

Thank you for contacting Honda UK.
    So long as the correct specification of oil is used and the oil service timescales are adhered to your vehicles warranty will not be affected.
    Honda do recommend Castrol products, however there use is not a warranty condition.
    Thank you for contacting Honda UK. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
    Kind Regards,
    Daniel Garnett
    Honda Customer Service

honda_saj, cat-guy and MattBeardless like this.
  17. DeviateDefiant Retiring 2021 H-Tune Staff

Germany Leo Kettering
    You'll find other posts here on the forum about this, Honda dealerships are not required to use Honda's own recommended oils, they simply need to meet the correct visocity/specification requirements for each engine when servicing them. This means that most franchises, themselves typically owning dealerships for many manufacturers, will normally pick one partner company (Morris in this case), to supply oil for all their dealerships regardless of car brand. You can normally ask them to use Honda branded oil no issue (manufactured by Total, distributed by Castrol last I heard).

As mentioned above, I wouldn't have the slightest worry about the quality of Morris Lubricants regardless.

MattBeardless and tomwillie like this.