Pre-Purchase Honda CR-V 2007 ES Petrol 149k miles??

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by gman88667733, Saturday 18th May, 2019.

1. gman88667733 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom George Devon
    Been offered through work a 2007 3rd Generation petrol CR-V. It is a manual and has done 149k miles. They want £2500 for it. I haven't seen it in the flesh yet, but the pictures show a few small dents from maybe a door or something and few scratches.
    Is this price too high for a 149k mile car? I'd want to keep it for a few years and do 15k miles a year.
    We want something that ideally will be trouble free as we have been stung with bills on our current diesel car and are sick of them.
    Not sure on service history, need to check that. Current owner has had it for 4 years and has done 25k or so miles in that time.

Any advice?

2. Sandy52 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sandy NORWICH
    On any car that age and mileage, condition is everything. If it does not have a good service history walk away.

3. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    You won't get trouble-free on a 12 year old car that's done 150,000 miles, that is 100% guaranteed. But petrols are more reliable than modern diesels no question.
    From what you say it doesn't sound like it has been loved. For that money you might be able to find an old low mileage Accord on Autotrader owned by a retired person and hardly used.

4. gman88667733 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, I'll ask about the service history first. They say the interior is in very good condition, which is a good sign.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Say I wanted trouble free, what do I buy for £2.5-£3k max?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ideally with a big enough boot for a dog crate, so no saloons
    - - - Updated - - -
    If the service history is decent on this CR-V, how many miles does it likely have left in it? Seems to be loads around with 180-190k miles on

5. gman88667733 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So the owner has had it for 4 years. They have serviced it yearly since then and last one was June 2018 and it had a new alternator at that time. They don't have any history from before they got it though, it seems
    - - - Updated - - -
    Actually, not yearly. They didn't do many miles, so had it serviced every other year.

6. gman88667733 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Before the last two bi-yearly services, it was serviced every year.

7. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If it drives okay then for that money it sounds like it's worth a punt IMHO.

8. gman88667733 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How should it drive? Never driven anything of the sort! What should I look out for?

9. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Me neither - but you can do your homework on the web about what to look out for before you go and see it.

10. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    My next annual report will be coming out in the next few weeks, but for now you can read last year's report, which also contains links to the previous reports:

https://h-tune.co.uk/club/threads/annual-report-4.186994/live?page=1#post-2325084

Not sure if this helps you, but it shows what I've had to get done with my petrol EX. I would advise that buying any car around that age/price point is a risk. My Petrol EX Auto has now done just over 157K and I still love driving it, but it has been cared for. In general, the only parts that have failed are parts I would expect to need replacing due to wear (front shocks, battery, brakes etc).

I need to keep mine until my youngest daughter has finished university in 2021 (that's when I can afford to replace it!). It will be knocking on the door of 200K by then, and I see no reason why it shouldn't go beyond that - providing I continue to look after it.

Sandy52 and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  11. gman88667733 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Are you advising against my potential decision then? I don't mind servicing, but I dislike paying out for bits that go wrong.

12. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I don't think any of us like paying out for bits that go wrong :Smile:

No - I'm not advising either way. However, you cannot expect to buy a car of that age/mileage/price bracket and only ever have to pay for servicing. You might be lucky, but it's really about risk. I would say that I think Hondas in general are a good risk in terms of reliability and longevity, but it's not a dead cert on every single car. For example, I would take a Honda over a French car of similar mileage. In terms of the price point for that particular one, 10-20 mins searching for what's currently on the market on Autotrader, eBay, Parkers etc will tell you whether that's a good price.

I'm a bit old school and still believe in annual oil changes regardless of lower annual mileage, so that would be a red flag to me on this one - and cars which do lower annual mileage (and town driving) actually lead a harder life than something that's lived its life on a motorway.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  13. gman88667733 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm... I keep thinking I'd prefer an automatic too actually. I'm not sure how nice the n/a petrol will be to drive as a manual. Argh!!!!

14. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I like my petrol auto. It's pretty gutless if I'm honest, and fuel economy isn't brilliant (averaging sub-30), but it's very easy to drive and that's want I want in a daily driver. When I replace it, the next car will also be an auto. My current hobby car (a Renault 5) is a manual, but I wouldn't want an auto box on that anyway - that's for fun! Eventually, as we move away from the internal combustion engine, you won't be able to buy anything but an auto anyway.

It's shame the timing isn't right - I'd sell you my CR-V, but I can't afford to replace it until my kids have stopped bleeding me dry (does that ever stop?)

:Smile:

15. gman88667733 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Real shame!
    The question is, do I still consider the manual one? I suppose, it doesn't cost me anything to go and look at it and try it... A 2nd Generation auto came up for sale near me with 94k miles on for £1800. But the MOT history shows a tough life (for suspension bits and dust covers) reg for that is gf53 ESN. Plus it only has a part service history

16. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent