Guides Honda Civic Maintenance Schedule for Normal Conditions - for Service Reminder System

Honda Civic 2017 [FC1,FK6, FK7]

1. Dom H-Tune ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2. AccordMavman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    This schedule intrigues me.
    If I'm reading it right, it states (for the turbo engines, which is presumably all of them?) you only change the oil filter once every 2 years, even tho the oil needs changing annually! Wonder if there's special material in the filter which means it will last for longer? But then how would this work if you were a rep doing 30k miles a year??

Air filter change every 37.5k seems long too, mine was absolutely filthy after 25k miles when I replaced it in January. Wonder how this would affect your fuel economy & performance over the last 12k of this lifespan?

The pressure from fleet operators never relents....:thumbdown:

Ichiban and andy83 like this.
  3. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Well spotted Honda is been doing some internal testing for years now regarding the oil and air filter longevity.According to Honda the filters are not adequately getting dirty for them to be replaced that frequently.I personally don't agree with it however fleets companies will think of lower cost of ownership and that sells car. The rise of PCP and leasing owners are going to be following the schedule to the letter why will they need spend money on constant filter replacement and Honda don't recommend it !! At the end of that the car doesn't belong to them it will treated with no love.

At the end of the lease the second hand car owner will need to change everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AccordMavman and andy83 like this.
  4. Nels Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom JD Home
    I don't care what the 'schedule' states. If I change the oil, the filter is changed too.

5. andy83 Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    @Nels I agree mate change both...

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Nels Evangelist H-Tune Community

United Kingdom JD Home
    Just seems so daft to do half a job. Besides which, a new filter has to have a better flow rate than a partly 'clogged' one.

7. AccordMavman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Interesting info CJ, thanks for that.

Well, my automotive engineering qualifications stopped at HND level, I wouldn't pretend to know more than Honda's engineers on this and no doubt their conclusion on these filters is based on considerable research & evidence.

What I do know is that 12.5k service intervals and a full documented Honda history was not enough to prevent the condemnation of my timing chain after 120k miles. So based on this, my interim oil & filter changes will continue for as long as I own her....:Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    You and I know that as we are proud owners.

andy83 likes this.
  9. AccordMavman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

On a different note, but still directly related to this fab new car, I called into my nearest dealer this week to pick something up, and had a look at a lovely looking 1.5 CVT example I n black in the showroom.

I wanted to have a look inside, but weirdly, it was locked. I loitered, briefly, in full view of 3 or 4 salesmen, who didn't seem to notice me, so I left.

I found this interesting, especially given that Honda themselves have been peppering me with emails over the past 10 days, inviting me to take a look at their new baby, and to take a test drive...

This was not how I was trained in showroom manners when I worked for another Honda dealer many moons ago, but maybe things have changed since then....:Messed:

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    At every new car launch Honda R&D requests oil samples and filters from cars via the dealers. Historically if look at the trends all Japanese vehicles have had very low service milage intervals and this has been perceived as a negative aspect from the fleet sales when compared to the European cars. When Honda introduced the diesel engine in 2004 Honda started this procedure of the collating oil samples, all filter samples to on regular intervals from cars when they reached 37500 miles. Honda then started asking for dealers to recommend single owners cars with FDSH which reached 70,000 miles and requested cars to be totally stripped down Honda R&D for inspection.

Japanese cars have had this reliability in the past due to the regular maintenance at short intervals.
    If your own the car follow your Conscience if you don't on the car follow your wallet.

AccordMavman and andy83 like this.
  11. AccordMavman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's really interesting info...
    You can just see Ford or Vauxhall stripping down engines at this mileage, can't you - NOT....

andy83 and Ichiban like this.
  12. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    As far as I can see the new eartdream engines don't have new super duper oil filters. However I will be in touch with HH to see if honda have new oil filters for the turbo petrols.

andy83 likes this.
  13. Ichiban Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    The pessimist in me would say that you don't have a new registration car. If you walked into the dealership with European car with a new numberplate suited and booted they would be all over you. Honda sales people have been trained in a different manner today. Honda call it conquest owners . Honda does not want it core customers it wants revolvers changing the cars every three years In a drop of a hat which the typical Honda owners do not do.

AccordMavman likes this.