Honda Accord 1.8 gear linkage oil leak

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by TiMiX, Monday 12th Jun, 2017.

1. TiMiX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Guildford
    Hi All! I just brought a very cheap honda accord gen 6 to run about in and have a slight oil issue [emoji53] The oil seems to be coming from the top by the gear selector cable mount. Also the steering rack seems to want to join in the fun also!

Is this common and is it fixable? I keep getting spots of oil all over the place and its playing with my OCD lol.

Cheers, Tim Screenshot_2017-06-12-22-19-20-433. Screenshot_2017-06-12-22-17-48-975. IMG_20170608_210439.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    You're missing a breather cap for starters. Would be good if you can replace that as you don't want debri going into your gearbox.

After replacing I would then give the gearbox a good clean. Once you cleaned if keep and eye on and see where the oil starts to leak from. It'll be a gasket that has gone and needs replacing.

TiMiX, andy83 and Nels like this.
  3. TiMiX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks SpeedyGee, i thought it looked odd! i'll look one up on ebay. I'll keep my fingers crossed it might be coming from that.

It looks like a drain plug on the steering rack, i'm hoping it can be tightened or the seal can be replaced like on the oil sump, anyone had this before?

Cheers.

4. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Honda uses aluminium-type crush washers on it's drain plugs. These must always be replaced with a new one and then tightened to the correct torque, to ensure there aren't any leaks.
    It's most likely to be a re-used washer. Don't go tightening beyond the specified torque or you're likely to have a more difficult issue.

TiMiX and andy83 like this.
  5. TiMiX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Nels, i'll pop to honda and get a new breather cap and washer. Cheers for your help guys, much appreciated.

Nels and andy83 like this.
  6. TiMiX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looking again, its definitely coming from the selecter seal, is it possible to loosen the bolts and remove the top layer to replace the oil seal? image001.

7. TiMiX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Take it this isn't a normal thing to try then lol