Electrical & Lights High level brake light

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by MikeG1, Tuesday 17th Jan, 2017.

1. MikeG1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheshire
    Yes get the plastic ones I have, sykes and pikavant off an online auction site. To be sure test the plug connector voltage too for any anomalies too won't harm.

2. C5CONVERT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Bedford
    I've now got some trim tools but probably won't now get round to the job until February which is when I will need to use the car again. However, I will report back when I do the job, especially if I can fix the unit. Thanks to MikeG1 for the reminder to test the supply voltage at the connector.

3. C5CONVERT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, a bit late but I finally got round to investigating my failed 3rd (central) brake light this afternoon (2012 CR-V EX 2.2 diesel manual). I removed the failed unit and took some photos on the way which might help anyone else who needs to do this job. Thanks to MikeG1's tip I acquired a set of trim tools:

20190513_181023[1].

I selected the most appropriate-looking tool and started to remove the internal trim at the top of the tailgate. I started at one end and it pooped off without damage with careful use of the tool. The right-hand photo shows the layout of the clips at the ends:

20190513_181318[1]. 20190513_181512[1].

The next shot shows the inside of the trim where there are 3 green "poppers" (2 can be seen in the photo). These came out without breaking:

20190513_181559[1].

The next photo shows the area of the tailgate concealed by the trim. The 2 retaining nuts/studs are located inside the 2 holes which are slightly off-centre. If you feel around with a finger you can find these and the nuts can be removed with a box spanner (same size as a model aeroplane glow plug!):

20190513_181655[1].

The next shot shows the light unit pulled away from the tailgate. It is necessary to ease 2 plastic lugs which are accessed from the holes in the tailgate. A bit fiddly - I inserted a trim tool and eased them in to release the unit a bit. No need to touch the rear screen washer outlet which stays in situ on the tailgate.

20190513_191335[1].

After unplugging the unit it can be removed from the car. The next job was to get Mrs W to press the brake pedal with the engine running so that I could check volts were reaching the plug - they were, so faulty light unit. I dismantled the unit (the lens wasn't that well fixed) and examined the LED circuit board but no user serviceable parts here (on my old Citroen C5 the light unit had resistors which corroded - easy to replace at a cost of £1.99 or so for 50!). This is what the circuit board looks like:

20190513_194934[1].

I just need to source a replacement light unit (seems about £105 from a Honda dealer or £30 - and a wait - for a Chinese version) and fit it (above steps in reverse). The faulty board probably costs about 50p to manufacture. Oh, and clean all the muck off the tailgate which gets behind the light unit.............

I hope this helps anyone who needs to do the job and sorry if the photos aren't so good as this is my first attempt at a post with them.

David

Attached Files:

leonard likes this.
  4. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for a very helpful post. We could do with more of this sort of post.

Keith

5. C5CONVERT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you Leonard and Keith for your kind comments.

I ordered a new light on-line from Cox Motors in Morecambe, together with some service parts, and it arrived today (excellent service). I thought I would just finish the story with by telling you that installing the new light was straightforward and took about 10 minutes. A couple of points to keep in mind, though. The new light fitting did not include the fixing nuts, so ensure you keep the old ones. Secondly, it's a bit of a fiddle getting the nuts onto their threads, which are pretty much out of sight - I felt for the end of the threaded bits with my finger and tried to visualise the location. I then put a nut (with built in washer, so it sits nicely in the end of a box spanner) into the box spanner and located the correct spot quite easily. The following photos should provide the last bit of help - the box with the part number (my car is a 62 reg EX 2.2 diesel, so check you get the right part for your variant), a photo showing the angle of the box spanner on the nuts (it points down, more or less, to the rubber seal around the tailgate aperture) and finally let there be light (courtesy of Mrs W pressing the brake pedal again).

Definitely the most expensive light bulb I've ever bought at just over £100 and probably the most expensive light fitting too. In this age of concern about plastic waste it's a shame this high level light doesn't just have a bulb that could be replaced, reusing the lens etc. If I could write Japanese I would drop Mr Honda a note about this. I have kept the old light and I am going to see if I can find some LEDs which will fit in the lens housing and provide a cheap repair.

20190515_163114[1].
    Angle of box spanner on retaining nut.

20190515_161836[1].
    Part number.

CRV rear lights.
    Lights, camera, action. Job signed off.

In another 750 miles my car will reach 50,000 miles/just over 6.5 years old and I'm going to attempt a major service myself - change all the filters and fluids and do all the other items and checks set out so clearly elsewhere on this site. I just keep telling myself the CR-V is really just a Morris Minor with electronic knobs on (and without the seized brake cylinders, riveted on brake shoes, sticking petrol pump points and a filler plug (gearbox?) located under the carpet). So I might record my efforts because if I can do it anyone can (and also I might need a bit of help!).

告別 O wakare (as they say in Swindon) for now, David (hope Google translate works...........)

leonard likes this.