General Help.. still misfiring

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Baggedcivic99, Wednesday 12th Dec, 2018.

1. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Abigail Ballymoney
    hi, so my car started misfiring on Friday past, I’ve changed the spark plugs and the HT leads and still no joy, I don’t know what to to, I’m at a lose end, can someone please give me some advise

I have a coil pack here for it but I don’t know if it’s something I could do myself

2. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

What condition is the distributor cap and rotor arm in?

I've changed coil packs on Toyotas, but not on a Honda. They are within the distributor, and it is something that you could easily replace yourself, but I would check the condition of the dizzy first. I had a Ford which misfired like mad during the winter because condensation would get inside the dizzy cap and it would just jump the spark about everywhere....lol. Check the inside of the distributor cap for any oil, or moisture, are the contact points in good condition or worn away? Same as the rotor arm (the plastic piece which spins - but it won't with the engine off, but it will be obvious when you see it. Its like a plastic arm when you remove the cap. If any of these are dirty, got oil or moisture in them, or just worn in general, the spark won't transfer correctly and could very easily cause a misfire.

Baggedcivic99 and DrSam like this.
  3. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

To be honest I’m not really sure but I will get a better look at it tomorrow after work, going to try get the front end of it into the garage where there is a bit better lighting, just wish the thing would work :thumbdown:

4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Mate before the misfire have you changed or moved anything on the engine parts wise..

5. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Is she misfiring throughout the rev range? Only at idle? If your plugs are new and correct, your HT leads are not damaged and connected correctly to the dizzy cap, then the next logical step would be the distributor itself and how the spark is being distributed. They can get fouled up over time, and especially if thats the original one, its definetely worth a good look.

In fact - look what I just found. It is very similiar to the Toyotas. This will go through where it is, and how to remove the cap for inspection.

DrSam likes this.
  6. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@andy83 No haven’t touched or changed anything until after it started to misfire

@Nighthawk it is misfiring when on the idle and also when it is being revved, thanks for the video, I’ll give it a watch and I’ll have a good look at it tomorrow and hopefully we will find the problem in there

7. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

The video will give you an idea of what to look for, check the inside of the cap for any moisture or oil, and in the video, you see the 4 conducters inside the cap - if they are fouled up, the spark won't travel effectively, if they are damaged, they can't be repaired and its a new cap you would need. Same goes for the rotor arm, it can get fouled up, and if worn down or damaged, likewise, it won't transfer efficiently.

8. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Any further progress on this Abigail?

Baggedcivic99 likes this.
  9. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee no not at the minuet, going to go buy myself another car tonight and the gona try get working on it tomorrow evening after work to strip everything down and see if there is any moisture or corrosion anywhere then go from there, if I need parts I’ll get them ordered up and then build it back up again and hopefully we will have a running Civic again :jumpup:

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

What car are you buying?

11. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Nighthawk Got a Vauxhall’s insignia 2 litre diesel, descent enough car, my father had one a few years ago and I really liked it then, good car for daily driving and had plenty of room for my dog :Laughing:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I’m just happy it has cruise control :Laughing: bought my fellas car the cruise control stock for his car so I could have a go with it :lol:

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update :no:

So everyone I have now changed the coil pack, rotar arm, distributor cap, HT leads and spark plugs... start of the week I got everything put into the car and got rid of one of two codes which was cylinder 3 misfire, the other one which did not go away was the random misfire.
    As it was still coming up and the car still wasn’t running correctly I decided to take each ht lead out at a time while the car was running to see if I could see where the sparks wernt coming through and what colour the sparks themselves where.. of course knowing my luck the first HT lead I remove was number 4 and the whole inside of the lead decided to pull out of the casing so I turned the car off quickly and took all of the leads off and returned them to the place I bought them from as faulty item, that was fine and they just gave me a new set but now with the new set of HT leads the car isn’t striking up what so ever.

Any ideas on what my next move should be?

13. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Have the valve clearances been done/checked?

14. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee no not yet, was speaking to someone today who said about doing that but at this stage I’m starting to lose heart in it, just want the thing to work :Sorry: I think I’m just going to save up and get another engine for it

15. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

You are learning lots of stuff, trying to fix this issue, right? Just see as that then a learning exercise.

I would say persist with the issue for a while :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yea I am which is the only positive thing happening in my life at the minuet, just getting kicked back down at every turn is starting to get the better of me, I have been thinking about just stripping down the engine to the oil seal things ( can’t remember the name as my head is killing me ) and sorting everything on my way up again, do you think that would be a good idea?

17. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Sorry to hear that. Life is like a roller coaster ride, sometimes you're on a downward slope, sometimes on the up. Hopefully, you've got a good patch heading your way soon, just hang in there.

If you feel comfortable doing this then sure go for it.

Baggedcivic99 likes this.
  18. Bones126 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi There.

Have you checked that you are actually getting a spark at each plug? Only way is to remove one at a time and start the car and hold the connected plug with some grips against something metal and see if it sparks (insulated grips or you'll know about it!!). If they are all sparking , great there but it could be how strong the spark is.
    So, Have you checked every connecting and cleaned them with a contact cleaner? Also check that All earth straps are connected properly and tight and the connections are also clean.
    Then, what condition is the battery is, is it new or old?
    Once we can establish you have good clean connections and your are getting a good spark at all plugs, we can work back from there.
    Valve clearances if they need doing will be tapping away and obvious if they are causing the issue, but I read it as a misfire which to me sounds electrical which is where a god is usually required lol.
    Hopefully a good set of HT leads, decent plugs and fully charged battery, fully functional coil pack and a good ECU should hopefully give a good spark.
    Also, not know there car. age or set up. Is it a manual timing adjustment by the dizzy? If so, have the timing checked once its running. it may be out with all the messing.

Have you check your water to see if there is a white froth in which could be oil, then it could be the head gasket.

Also check all manifold are bolted up tightly.

Also check all vacuum pipes are connected correctly with no splits.

Finger crossed for you mate, chin up and don't let it beat you. There is a fix out there (just how much is the question)

19. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

@Baggedcivic99 - don't give up hope for the old girl. Look at how much you have learnt so far - its always hard to diagnose issues on a forum, and the best we can do is offer our own advice and experiences, but keep fighting, and she will eventually reward you. The feeling you will get when she fires up properly and strongly, is a feeling like no other. The bigger the obstacle, the bigger the reward.

As for life hitting you at every turn, don't let any of that win either. If you need to, slow things in your life down, and take everything one moment at a time. Nothing in this world is more important than your own health

honda_saj, Baggedcivic99 and Bones126 like this.
  20. Baggedcivic99 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tanks for all your help guys, got the car starting this morning but.. and there’s always a but :lol: she’s still misfiring, worse than ever, like really really bad. There was also a lot of smoke coming up from the under side of the engine which smelt of petrol which probably isn’t a great thing. I’ll plug the car in later when I get home and see what codes it’s bringing up.

I might just have a go at rebuilding the engine and see what happens because by the looks of things the engine is done and if I mess up for some reason it’s not as if it’s going to matter anyway if you know what I mean?

honda_saj likes this.