Accord/7th Gen Help! Power steering pump sound!!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by TedH77, Monday 1st Apr, 2019.

1. TedH77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ethiopia tedh7 Vilnius
    Hello guys.. I have a problem today I heard a knocking sound in my engine, and as I see, I think thats my power steering pump.. What do you think, bad bearing? Too low on steering fluid? The fluid is on low and a bit foaming, is it bad if steering pump fluid has a bit of air? Should there be no air in system? maybe then there is a problem with o rings of power steering pump?

Attached Files:

2. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    The o rings were upgraded from black to red if i remember correct, you need to top up and to bleed turn left and right lock a few times check and top up if required then close lid

3. TedH77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ethiopia tedh7 Vilnius
    @honda_saj Thanks... but can these things cause this knocking sound?

4. JapCar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Bristol
    Of course shouldn't air in the system. First check/replace inlet O ring on the pump. It's easy, unscrew one bolt and pull out the hose nozzle. Usually sucks air from O ring there and makes bubbles/noise in the system...

honda_saj likes this.
  5. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

should not do but you never know use a long screwdriver or stethoscope if you have one to diagnose source of knocking noise.

6. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

The power steering can cause a slight knocking sound if it's low on fluid... you'll only really hear it when turning the steering to near full lock though in my experience.

A bad bearing will cause more of a whine than a knock.

As others have suggested... check fluid levels, top up as required and turn the steering lock to lock and recheck again... Also check the pipe running from the pump down to the rack. It's quite common for a leak to develop around the metal fitting pressed onto the rubber pipe at either the top or bottom. If there is one, it's not an expensive fix... You can pick up a blueprint replacement for around £30-40 (it's not one of those parts that 'has' to be a Honda replacement unlike filters) and a decent mechanic will be able to fit it in less than 1hr... So assume a fix of around £100 or so depending on what a garage charges for labour.

Had mine replaced back in 2017.

7. TedH77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ethiopia tedh7 Vilnius
    Thanks for your help guys!

Problem was in alternator belt it was in very bad condition.. So if you will have the same problem ( i hope that no ) so check your belts first!! Thanks :Wink:

8. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

I don't see how a belt will cause a knocking sound... a whine yes... knocking... In almost 30yrs of driving... never heard an aux belt cause a knocking sound.

There is however an issue on some 7th gens with early alternator pulley problems due to the way the aux belt was routed... A shorter belt was made and a rerouted path for it that removed the centre guide pulley. A quick search for that on here will pull up a few threads on it. It's something I had done last Oct on my tourer.

9. TedH77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ethiopia tedh7 Vilnius
    one of belt part, hadn't any " teeth " on it thats why there was that sound.. I thrown away my bad belt so i can't show you how it looked

Heckler likes this.
  10. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Was this mod for diesel models only if i remember correct ?

11. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

I believe so, I've never had a VTEC Accord

12. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes. I've no idea what engine the OP has, but the short belt mod (and redundant idler removal) was just for early 2.2 I-CTDI diesel engines. It should definitely be performed, as it takes a load off the complex alternator pulley and bearings.

The revised/shorter belt is a generic 7PK1785, although I actually used a 7PK1784 (the system allows for a few mm either way). There is a forum guide... https://h-tune.co.uk/club/threads/i-ctdi-noise-from-alternator.116/live?page=1#post-22808