Engine & Gearbox HELP, DOES A CRACKED EGR PIPE SMOKE THIS MUCH???

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FUGMASTER, Wednesday 3rd Apr, 2019.

1. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Just got home on my usual 14mile trip from work, the last 10 miles of which are along the A3, so at anywhere between 60 & 80mph. On pulling up outside home, a great cloud of exhaust smoke rose from the front N/S wheel arch and continued to be seen for many minutes more. Now, I suspect as I've previously posted, that the EGR pipe has fractured, but would you really expect to see so much diesel smoke???

Any suggestions gratefully received??

2. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Are you 'sure' it was exhaust smoke and not sticky brakes?

3. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Definitely exhaust smoke; I started the car about an hour later, and up it came again. Did notice this a month or so back, but today it was unbelieveable?

4. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

If it's appearing as soon as you start the engine... it does sound like some kind of exhaust leak. Only way to find out where is inspecting all of the pipes...

If you add you car to the garage, people will be able to help easier as they can see what type you have and if it's petrol/diesel. Both have an EGR but the diesel has the turbo down on the side of the engine, so there's extra pipework in the area you say it's coming from.

5. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    I'll pop it on the garage, but it's a 2009 2.2 I-DTEC

6. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Have you had a look with the bonnet up? If the I-DTEC is the same layout as the CTDi then the EGR is pretty much front and centre, whilst the turbo is more to the right. You might be able to narrow down the location rather than waiting for it to exit the wheel arch.

7. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Yeah, I'll take a look when I get home tomorrow; would you expect a blown turbo to smoke like that???

8. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Normally when a turbo seal starts going, you'll get oil smoke from the exhaust and if it lets go... clouds of smoke from the exhaust. A leak from the front would tend to indicate a leak in a pipe/join. But I'm no expert, so it needs a proper diagnosis from some one more qualified than me.

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  9. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Think I'll book it in, but sounds pricey???

10. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Until you know where it's leaking... it's just speculation... Could be as simple as a new gasket somewhere... A turbo replacement would be pricey... but you'd have seen other signs. A bearing failing would make a noise, and a leak would see increased oil use and oil tinged smoke from the exhaust.

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  11. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Well thankfully, I've not noticed anything like those occurring, so hopefully just something simple??? Time to book her in! Many thanks for your thoughts, Heckler

12. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If that much smoke is leaking out, then surely you can see where it's coming from? If it is the EGR pipe then that's pretty easy to see.

13. cat-guy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cat-guy United Kingdom
  14. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Strangely enough, no smoke but the usual fumes this morning, but I'll take a look under the bonnet when I get home tonight; report back!

Zebster likes this.
  15. John Hamer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    That will help!!

16. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Ok, same trip home, popped the bonnet and no smoke, not even a hint of it??? Might be because I didn't hit more than 65 mph as the traffic was heavy, but even so, I wasn't going much faster yesterday. Definitely noisier than she should be on accelerating, so something's amiss; time to get her checked I think. Report back once I have, and hopefully nothing major!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks to all posters, by the way!

17. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Update: Checked and confirmed by my local Honda dealer as a cracked EGR pipe , as most would have suspected. I attempted to get a bit of goodwill and have it repaired by Honda, but this was initially refused; however, I have tried again and am awaiting a response from Honda customer services.

Zebster and i-DSI like this.
  18. kpflan New Member Getting Started

I think i’m in the same boat :-|
    Arrived home and noticed smoke coming
    out from passenger side of engine.
    Mine is also a 2009 2.2D.
    It was a hot day but checked eng temp
    and was not overheating.
    Smoke was grey and smelled a little sooty.
    - - - Updated - - -
    see attached vid. Smoke was pluming out.
    Turned off engine. Went in and got a torch
    and came back and started car and did not
    see any smoke.
    There are so many pipes and bits crammed into
    that side of the engine i could not see anything.
    Took it on a short run later to check and
    still there. Will have to take it to Honda today.
    I suspect EGR as have noticed an occasional
    slight smell of exhaust fumes in cabin of late which
    never lasted long.
    Car has been running well but is 10yrs old now
    with 150k mls on clock.
    Just as i was planning a road trip with kids for next wk :-/
    Now i may be facing a big bill as Honda would be
    unlikely to honour EGR warrenty (if it is indeed EGR)
    Sigh. Only just forked out a couple of wks ago
    for an inner wheel arch liner.

Attached Files:

19. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Sounds 100% like the EGR to me, your car's symptoms are exactly what I experienced; you'll probably also hear a booming noise on acceleration, too. Good news is that I only experienced a lot of smoke twice, although there was definitely a diesel exhaust smell for most of the time that I suspected the EGR pipe had developed a crack (although never inside the cabin). Also, I ran mine for at least 6 months in this condition including a week-long holiday in Wales, and apart from a slightly more noticeably noiser engine when accelerating, performance and MPG were not badly compromised. Like yours, mine is 10 years old with 124k on the clock. Here's the bad news: it cost me about £240.00 in parts (Honda, of course), and over 4 hours labour to get it repaired, which ultimately you'll have to. Car is now much, much, quieter, but I haven't had it in this condition long enough to work out if the MPG has improved (not that I know it would have been affected, in the first place?). Keep us up to speed on how you get on.

20. kpflan New Member Getting Started

Main dealer confirmed it was an EGR pipe problem.
    Quote to fix was €450, although he knocked
    it down a little to €430 as said he would not
    charge me for (all?) of the 7ltrs of coolant needed.
    Its going back in tomorrow as parts were not available this afternoo .
    Was told it will take a half day or less to replace.
    I asked about the warranty and was told honda irl would
    not cover a uk imported car that was out of warranty.
    I’ve reached out to both honda irl and uk to see if either
    of them would be willing to cover even the parts cost.
    Will see what they come back with.
    Car was not smoking today.
    Never had boom sound or noise or performance issues either.
    Will see if post replacement any difference is noticed.