Engine & Gearbox HELP D14 Flood Damage!

Discussion in 'Honda D-Series' started by Turkish, Wednesday 25th Nov, 2009.

1. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right I'm getting a minter of an EJ9 for

2. kipper Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would definately look out for rust since it's lay for 18months possibly with some water still in it? And tbh doesn't sound like THAT much of a bargain after hearing bodykit, 18's and water upto the door handles in the description and i would also check electrics in general couldn't they be destroyed? I would add another 500 to that and buy a decent stock ej9, not hard to come by, my opinion though :Smile: .

3. Tobiasnugent Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

my mate bought an ej9 for

4. craigej6 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

you might be better off looking for a better example bud if like u say its been chopped about and all sorts then it might not be very nice plus flood damage that high means flooded inside so probably rust under the carpet especially if its been stood still

5. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It is V plate facelift though and its got a few tasty bits which I don't want/need, so these can get sold on fleaBay and pretty much get back what I'm gonna be paying for it. I thought after posting about rust under the carpet from being stood for so long. Im pretty sure it got thoroughly dried out afterwards though. I know he was still driving it for a good month or so after the flood until the MOT ran out, and still to the point the shell is immacualte otherwise, fresh respray a few months before the flood and apart from the bodykit is a really clean and nice car.

I aint bought it yet, I will be sure to check everything, and hearing your opinions I think I'll be offering a lot less for it now! The other thing is its got 56k on the clock too!

6. craigej6 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the thing is u can't really rip his carpet up to have a look as it doesnt matter if it has been dried any contaminants left over from the water could cause it and to the wiring aswell but yeah offer less definately

7. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Walk away, wiring will be fucked, no 2ways about it! Not worth a bucket of cold piss! Offer

8. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can as he's a mate, I'll tell him I aint buying it until I look under the carpet lol! Just found the pic of it under floodwater on facebook, only came a little under the door strip so not as high as I thought, probably won't make a difference thouh I guess :Whistle:

9. Charlay Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

an ej9 sold with a D16Z6 swap, aftermarket coilover springs and half decent OEM honda wheels for about

10. stepawayfromthemachine Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Definitely check for rust if it stood for that long after water damage. Ashas been said already water can be a bloody nightmare with electrical systems aswell. You'll end up with one problem after another.

Majority of insurance claims for flood damaged vehicles end up with the car being written off.

11. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok best not buy it then folks... Its just every other project I look at they're all rusty, scratched, dented, flat paintwork and the sort! This thing is mint shell wise, just ECU and engine issues. It's on Spax RSX coilovers, D2 LCAs and lower brace, front strut brace, manifold + AEM short ram (both nearly brand spanking new!) and Magnecor leads (these are prob screwed from the water though). he's giving me all parts except bumpers (left them at the bodyshop) to put it back to standard and I'm not joking theres not a mark on the shell at all, no dents, no scratches, paint is immaculate and there is not a single bit of outer shell rust. Arches are mint etc, its just the chance there might be rust under the carpet and out of sight that I need to check first. Plus my plan is to swap the engine anyway, so who cares that the engine and ECU is fucked from water, thats all gonna be changed anyway? Im not planning on making money, I want to build a minter of an EK so surely its a good base having such a great shell?

12. Mabs Kadir Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

not worth it mate really isnt. just keep looking, youl be diggin you self into a hole tyring to repair your car to a decent standard

13. Gary. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd be buying it, if you can't sort it then flog the bits on and make yourself money. If you're Bswapping anyway the looms will be getting changed?

14. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i agree with gary, as long as its cheap enough, people make are making out its a dawnting task to change the interior loom, it really isnt, TBH you could buy it cheap, break it, and make money if you didnt want the hassle!

al9955

15. sk8ter646 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Aslong as its solid under the carpet mate, id go for it. every said my car was fit for the scrapper when i bought it, they are all eating there words now after i spent 9 months on it. its a great feeling when it goes through its first MOT

16. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

well this is exactly what Im about, if it does turn out to be a shitter and not worth my money, then ill just break it. majority of parts on it are literally spotless so its gotta be worth what im paying just in parts :Smile: but yeah I wanna B swap it so everything will be changed so its not the end of the world.

17. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Go for it if you want but in my experience with flood damaged cars then it ain't worth the hassle. The cost to get that one up and running perfectly n to insure constant reliability I'd rather go for a car with flat paint or rust as a project