Engine & Gearbox Help Choosing Spring Rates For BuddyClub RSD Coilovers on EJ-H22

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by Cutz, Monday 9th Sep, 2013.

1. Cutz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Word up boys,

well in the last few weeks the Type-22A has finally made it onto the road and currently running her in.

I'm come across a few issues, the main one being the BuddyClub Racing Spec Damper Springs are just too strong and causing quite a bouncy ride over here on northamptons shit roads...what the feck do i pay my council & road tax for???

anyway, apparantly the standard spring rates for the Buddyclubs are 10kg Front & 7kg Rear, I have emailed Buddyclub for their advice but i'm currently waiting for a reply.

I've had the car fully setup, fast road alignment & corner weighted by Northampton Motorsport (THE place to have a car setup in Northampton) so i know it's absolutely spot-on, the shocks are very controlled and the guys at Northampton Motorsport were very impressed with the general setup, stiffness and performance but in my area the roads suck.

mine's full-h22 swapped with no rear seats but i will be running about 30kg worth of audio system in the back

I'm interested to find out who's running what coilover and spring combo on their 6th Generation EJ?

I need to find a happy medium between comfort and performance, being firm is fine but not on shit roads...i'd sacrifice a little firmness for a bit more comfort.

opinions please....

2. Kozy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You won't fix BluddyCruds with different springs.

Get some MeisterRs.

3. GymJunkie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Im in the same boat with my HSD's, im in 2 minds about getting some 7/5 springs to replace the 9/6 that are currently on it to soften up the ride a bit. Or just get springs and shocks

4. Civic-t Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've got 8/6 springs on my spax's and they're just right IMO harsh over rough surfaces but nice on the motorway and A roads

5. Cutz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've found a whole host of spring rate calculators online and since I have all the corner weight measurements im gonna do this the mathematical way.

The coilovers themselves are fantastic it's simply the fact that I have a h22 in the front and less weight in the back.

Avo are literally 5 minutes from my house so once I've done all the calculations they will be able to supply exactly what I need ;-)

6. GymJunkie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Problem is by me ALL the roads are rough, even the motorway and A roads. Only when I go over the border to Wales that the roads are nice and smoooooooth

7. Kozy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What are you calculating?

I like calculating stuff. This might be of interest. http://blackartdynamics.com/Chassis/LoadTransferDC2.php

8. Cutz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There's quite a few calculations to determine the wheel frequency and a load of other stuff.

Once I start the maths ill get it all up here.

9. Kozy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cool. That link will do wheel freq's, load transfer and roll angles, if you want to avoid doing the number work.

If you do want to do it, I'd be interested to have a look at what you come up with. :Smile:

10. Cutz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Got a feeling I need to take some measurements off the car before I can do the calcs but it shouldn't be difficult to pick exactly the springs I need to get the perfect ride compromise I want ;-)

11. Kozy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bear in mind that the dampers have a huge effect on ride quality. If you go too soft on the springs, you may not be able to reduce the damping enough to match, which will still leave you with a crashy ride.

12. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

One thing to remember is that ride quality are greatly dependant of the bump curve.

It isn't about the peak value, but how that peak value is achieved.

Its the first 5% of that curve that will make a difference between a bone shaking ride or a comfortable compliant ride.

If you look at the force vs displacement graph and look at the cracking pressure and the shape of the bump curve at 140mm/s, it will give you a good idea of what the ride will be like.

If you see a very square setup (aka Bilstein), you will feel every bumps on the road as they run massive cracking pressure in order to give better steering response.

That is one reason why MeisterR don't give a bone juddering ride as we made sure there are enough bleed in the system to allow a rounded curve and an acceptable cracking pressure on softer damping adjustments.

It does reduce the steering response a bit, but it doesn't mean the ride will be sloppy.

What it does do is allow the suspension to move over smaller bumps at the soft adjustments so you don't feel like you are riding on 4 piece of wood.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jerrick

13. Cutz Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Jerrick,

thanks for the info buddy, it's a good insight into coilover technology from the manufacturer point of view.

I have emailed buddyclub and i'm currently waiting for a reply from them with the technical data for the RSD's.... once I have that data it should be clear as to whether they are suitable or not.

As I had said previously I think a very slight spring change is in order, around the local streets to me just a tad softer would make the car so much more compliant...hopefully the technical data will tell me if this is possible.

The cracking pressure isn't something I had even taken into consideration but I can see that it will have a large effect on how well the car drives.

The car is seriously "box fresh" and i've only put about 600miles on her since she had her maiden voyage on the UK roads, everything is poly-bushed, the coilovers are brand new, tyres brand new, brakes brand new (you get the idea!) and I'm already noticing in just a few short miles that the car is already softening up as everything beds in....nothing old has been kept...everything is new ;-)

So before I go panicking that the car isn't right i've got a few jobs to sort:

1) I'm running 225/45/16 Toyo T1-R's which I feel are just to wide and causing a fair bit of tramlining (and rubbing on pass rear side due to corner weighting)...planning on changing down to 205/45/16 Toyo T1-R's

2) i've got 40min too little caster on one front wheel and 40min too much caster on the other front wheel....will be getting SPC front upper camber/caster adjustable arms to get that perfect

3) Engine mounts are far too hard and I'm getting a lot of vibration (doesn't add to the comfort)....Waiting for my liquid polyurathane kit to turn up so I can make my own custom mounts

once I have these relatively cheap (err!) problems rectified I can then pay full attention to the coilovers so I can perfect the entire setup and really turn this car into a beast!

one problem at a time though ;-)

14. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Let us know how it goes...  Should you couldn't get it sorted, come and talk to me about a set of MeisterR GT1.

I think that will do everything you want it to do, as that was how we design the GT1 suspension to work. :Wink:

Jerrick