General Hello, can i swap my tow bar mount from 3rd Generation onto 2nd Generation CR-V

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by 13mil, Friday 29th Mar, 2019.

1. 13mil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom 13mil Cambridge
    Guys, my really nice 3rd Generation CR-V's timing chain snapped, and due to finances i have to go for a 2nd Generation CR-V. Does anyone know if I can swap my towbar mount and electric connections from my 3rd Generation CR-V to the 2nd Generation, I'm looking at a very promising diesel CR-V sport model. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

2. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Did the timing chain snapping cause major damage to the engine? If not then surely it's cheaper to repair that to buy a replacement car.

3. SteveBurt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Burt CAMBRIDGE
    Are you really sure the timing chain has snapped? Has the car been properly checked?

4. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Snapping a chain is pretty hard to do, I've lost a belt a couple of times before... Once no damage because the engine was designed not to smash pistons into valves... the other... 13 of 16 valves bent and complete top end rebuild required.

I have no idea if these engines are designed to protect the valves in case of a snapped chain or not though.

5. Nige Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can I ask what the mileage is ? As said timing chain snapping is rare. Good luck with any desition you make

6. 13mil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you all for replies, my decision was made when I found out, it had snapped chain, it had problems, gutless, been towing caravans no doubt, then the severe pull to left, but it opened my eyes to driving in comfort. So I've just bought an 06 plate CR-V that has everything just right, except an air con niggle. I might have bothered with an engine change, onothe snapped chainccrv saved for it's ragged engine and steering bias to left. Ironically the CR-V with snapped chain was a replacement vehicle for a Toyota hiace diesel pump saga that has now been going on for nearly 4 months. Any way I'll update new picture soon but am now geeking about Aircon niggles in 2nd Generation CR-V thankfully it's not the compressor, i learnt from hiace saga, there comes a point when hoping something can be fixed was the obsession and not the getting fixed. I've never met a happy mechanic though.

7. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

There comes a time with older vehicles when it's just not economical to keep throwing money at it... at least not for a daily driver Enthusiast cars that you have for the sheer love of them are another thing entirely... I spent thousands doing up a couple of MX6's, one ending up getting stripped and scrapped at age 16 and the other sold on for just £400 aged 20.

I'm at that stage with my tourer... I've got a replacement, just need to sell the other one for what I can get with all of it's little niggles.

8. Patc50 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Pat Nantwich
    Sorry to hear of your woes but glad you're now sorted. Re your air con niggle - my 09 plate CR-V had intermittent air con problems - mostly not working but occasionally it would work for a short time. It turned out to be the relay - fixed in 5 minutes (and £30 for the Honda relay). Might be worth checking.

9. 13mil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, very nice comments guys. Yeh restoring and daily drivers are different worlds. Patc50 I have an air con pro diagnosing it tomorrow, Monday. I ll let the 2 be gen guys k is the results. The man who regassed you t also wants to know. The compressor is working wonderfully so fingers crossed a simple relay maybe the answer, or some such equivilant. Enjoy the rest of the weekend guys