Suspension, Steering and Brakes Hand Brake Adjustment.

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Smokingman, Monday 18th Feb, 2019.

1. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi.
    I have just replaced the pads all round on my 8th Generation Accord Tourer and found the hand brake to be sticking/binding on both sides. The set up is with shoes in the drum part of the disk. The manual mentions adjusting via a a hole in the disk and winding back the adjuster easier said than done! as you can only just see the adjuster wheel let alone adjust it.

So what I did was remove disk (clean all dust etc out) wind back the adjuster so disk is free to turn without binding so i now just need to adjust the hand brake leave in the centre console.

Has anyone done this or have any hints and tips?

Regards.

John

2. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've done it on my 7th generation, which sounds very similar. I felt it was important to first loosen the cable adjustment nut at the rear of the centre console before trying to find tune the individual rear adjusters. As you've found, moving the rear adjusters is a pain (more so when I discovered that the holes for doing this on the new Eicher drum/discs did not line up!) so (with the disc off) I did it by simply winding up the rear adjusters with my fingers to be as tight as possible to allow the discs to only just slide on without binding (took a few goes to be sure) on each side, then finally adjusting the centre console nut to give an appropriate handbrake travel.

DrSam likes this.
  3. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    @Zebster
    That sounds like what I did in the end, even my genuine Honda disk hole did not line up in my opinion!! Just need to adjust the lever in the centre console.

4. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine was fine and passed the MOT shortly afterwards, so good luck!

5. John Hamer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Over enthusiastic mechanic over did mine, reduced the lever clicks to 3, and burned out the shoes in 90 miles, they were replaced (by them), leave at least 6/7 clicks on lever, remove wheel, go through hole in hub and flip the star adjuster to lock the hub, then let the h/b off and see if you can feel/hear any binding, if yes then put the clicks on again and readjust the star. I agree it would have been a good idea to have a corresponding hole in the wheel. If you feel the cables have stretched then go through the centre console but I doubt very much they have, unless a gorilla has been at work.

honda_saj likes this.
  6. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi guys.
    Had a look at adjusting the hand brake at the weekend, opened up the flap in the centre console and found the nut (12 mm). The problem is there is not really enough room for a spanner or socket to be used as when turned the whole cable, crossbar assembly moves when you try to turn. So what I ended up doing was as @Zebster suggested ie disk off adjust and refit. The near side would lock with the handbrake on about 6 click, the off side was just starting to bind. So disk off adjust and repeat until both locked on 6 clicks.

As the hand brake now seems fine just wondering if anyone has any other way to adjust.

DrSam likes this.
  7. John Hamer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Thats the only way! but do not go for less clicks. A good tip to keep the shoes good drive with h/b on for a short distance now and again.

8. Nereus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Australia Adrian Sunshine Coast
    Having trouble with adjustment of hand brake also. Has the center console cables and 12mm bolt which is giving me the problem as i can't seem to get to adjust first i thought i had the wrong size or angle but it looks like you all had a similar experience.
    my car has no shoe mechanism in any drums, seems to be connected to the rear caliper . Thankyou in advance for any tips

9. Nereus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks like I've ran out of thread maybe.
    I was using a deep btw

Attached Files:

10. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you have a 7th Generation saloon then there are no rear shoes, the caliper has an internal screw mechanism that applies the pads when the handbrake lever is applied. You need to loosen up the cable, set up the rear calipers properly, then finally adjust that cable nut to give the required 8 (or so) clicks.

Nereus likes this.
  11. Nereus Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Zebster thankyou so much for this information and quick response .
    I will do the adjustment and post my results.

Zebster likes this.
  12. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    First of all you should check the hand brake operation:
    1. Pull the parking brake lever (A) with 196 N (20 kgf, 44 lbf) of force to fully apply the parking brake. The parking brake lever should be locked within the specified number of clicks.
    Lever locked clicks:
    Rear disc brake type: 6 to 8
    Rear drum in disc brake type: 5 to 7

2. If the number of lever clicks is not as specified, adjust the parking brake.

NOTE:
    • Rear drum in disc brake type: Minor parking brake lever adjustments (1 to 2 clicks) can be made with the adjusting nut. If a larger adjustment is required, follow the major adjustment procedure using the adjuster at the parking brake drum.
    • After installing new parking brake shoes and/or new brake disc/drum, make sure you drive the vehicle for ‘‘break-in''.

After that, if you need an adjustment, you should consider these steps:

first of all, if you have drum in disk brake system, you should loosen all the way under elbow adjuster (this is minor adjuster), then when both handbrake cables are loose, then you can start adjusting your handbrake:
    1st: you should adjust individually both wheels, when car is jacked up, turn the ratchet teeth on the adjuster assembly with a flat-tip screwdriver until the shoes lock against the parking brake drum. Then back off the adjuster 8 clicks, and install the access plug.
    2nd: then you can go back to minor adjuster and adjust the e brake lever itself.