Tools Halfords 5-Piece Kit, Any Good?

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Nels, Saturday 5th Apr, 2014.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
  2. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

I'd thought about that, but I'm not in a hurry for it CJ, so I'd rather just invest in the Arcan. :Thumbup:
    The ratchet stands are £22.19 from Machine Mart - There's one not too far away from me.
    As mentioned above, the 2nd eBay site had it listed for £147.44 incl delivery.
    Cheapest I can get it for. :Smile:

3. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Oh, just seen the Costco link.
    Thought you had to be a member to buy from them?

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think you had to be a member before because when I went for mine it was closer to the price Speedy quoted. In the end I bought mine from Ebay delivered for £120 back in 2010 I think it was because I wasn't a member of Costco.

They, or at least the last time I looked, now seem to have three membership options, one being pay a 5% premium in lieu of a membership.

5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Get a proper jack mate, those small jacks are a pain to work with, struggle to lift one corner of car and are unstable.
    This Arcan can cleanly lift one side of an car up no problem.

6. DeviateDefiant Managing Director H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Leo Corby
    Yes I've been looking at them tonight mate after seeing this thread, surprised to see so many of you with them. Been looking at the other possibilities and to be honest at the price the Arcan seems the best still so far.

Not sure whether I should be prioritising that or a decent pair of ramps.

7. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

I will be getting the Arcan and axle stands - to use inside the garage on a flat level concrete surface.
    If I was to work mainly outside on a gravel, slabbed or tarmac surface, then ramps - larger area of contact to spread the load

I had a trolley jack some years ago. Let someone 'borrow' it when I didn't want it for a while and never saw it again.
    I'd go for the trolley jack, but what do you need most?

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

@DeviateDefiant You'll probably need extra extensions/long/low profile ramps like Speedy's fabricated ones to get under the front of a lot of modern cars. You'll find the underside of the front bumper starts to hit the ramp or push it before the wheel is close to climbing it. Well that's what happened to my generic 2 ton ramp set which I had to send back.

Also, the only use for a ramp in my case would be an oil change, most other work like brakes, hoses, ABS sensors, drive shafts will need the wheel off so axle stands it needs to be.

It doesn't mean I don't want these ramps however lol
    Hydraulic Car Ramps | Garage equipment for the Classic Car Enthusiast

Last edited: Sunday 6th Apr, 2014
    Nels likes this.
  9. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

10. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah the look alright, especially when used as 2 sets to lift the whole vehicle.

11. DeviateDefiant Managing Director H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Leo Corby
    I've got a set of axle stands already that I use most of the time, the problem is my cheap trolley jack can't lift the frontend up enough to get the axle stands under the sides, so I have to prop each side up, squeeze a stand next to the jack, let the jack down, then do the other side. It takes a good 10 minutes just to get both sides up on axle stands (and only on very low settings too).

Very good point, I haven't thought of that at all. Seems a better trolley jack is a far better investment than a set of ramps at the moment.

Exactly as you pointed out, I struggle like hell to get the car up on the set of ramps at my Step-Dad's garage, need to use woodblocks and a bit of head banging to get her up without scrapping.

We can all dream! I'd love to have my own high-ceiling garage where I could fit at least a 2 post lift in, that'd be perfect - for now, I'm better investing in the car itself :Innocent:

AndyB1976 likes this.
  12. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Ramps and trolley jack perform two different roles, as mentioned already. My ramps don't get used often these days at all.

I'd say get a good trolley jack and you probably don't need ramp.

Talking of dreams, when we were looking for a house, I saw this one house in Worcester, it had a separate three garage building with an office on top of one the garage sections. One double garage door and one single one. The double garaged door side had a high roof and a two post ramp already installed ! I was absolutely in love with the garage. So off we trotted to check the place out but boy was the rest of it a let down ! The place was down this really narrow unkept, un tarmaced lane, the house and garden was a total let down and it was located right by the river severn. Man was I gutted :Rant:

Last edited: Sunday 6th Apr, 2014
  13. DeviateDefiant Managing Director H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Leo Corby
    I agree mate, appreciate the advice.

Man, that is a shame. What I'd give for a huge garage of that scale and with an office on-top, the missus would never see me in the house at all :Laughing:

14. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Haha, very true, you'd have loved it and made use of both the garage space and the office, the house just wasn't big enough for our needs.

15. DeviateDefiant Managing Director H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Leo Corby
    Long as I had a good garden for the dogs, I'd live in a one bedroom bungalow if I had that a huge separate garage with an office :Laughing:

16. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

@AndyB1976 is correct :Niceone:
    Non members pay a 5% surcharge +VAT.

So @DeviateDefiant, that means they are the cheapest so far for the Arcan

Costco UK - Arcan 1.8 Ton Aluminium Service Jack - Model CEALJ2T

£99.91 / £119.89 for members excl / incl VAT
    £104.91 / 125.89 for non-members
    (Assuming they add 5% on then VAT)

From the Costco site
    • IMPORTANT INFORMATION
      • Published prices are for members & online subscribers only. Learn more
      • A surcharge of 5% (+VAT at the standard rate) will be added to total purchases made by non-Costco UK members and non costco.co.uk online subscribers.

17. DeviateDefiant Managing Director H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Leo Corby
    Aye I've seen it mate, I'll take a proper look into it when I'm ready to take the plunge :Smile:

18. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Bought a pair today from Machine Mart :Happy:

Clarke CAX3TBC 3-Ton Axle Stands

- Machine Mart

Arcan, ordered today from Costco :Happy:(+5%{£5}) for non-members

Costco UK - Arcan 1.8 Ton Aluminium Service Jack - Model CEALJ2T

Thanks for all the advice guys :Hey:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  19. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Nice one man, that's exactly what I've got, machine mart 3ton axles with the 2 ton Arcan :Smile:

We should call it the "HK package" LOL

Nels likes this.
  20. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

I like it !

The "HK package" :Thumbup: as recommended by the ZABINGS group.

Zoran
    AndyB
    AndyB
    I
    chiban
    Nels
    SpeedyGee
    SpeedyGee

:Rolf: :Rolf: :Rolf: :Rolf: :Rolf: :Rolf: :Rolf:

SpeedyGee likes this.