Engine & Gearbox H2b conversion, info please

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by Bilz, Monday 13th Jan, 2014.

1. Bilz Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Im looking into a new engine for the coupe as the b16 is in its last legs,

Was thinking h2b, so h22a7(ATR) with 98 spec DC2 gearbox?

Just wanted to know what is needed & how much it'll all set me back?

Sorry if this topic is already there, I hadnt looked hard enough

2. SpamGorge Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No you haven't.

Conversion kit for starters, look it up on that weird thing called Google.

Morph does a kit and there's a couple in the USA, even one on here in the traders section

3. rooneyrocket Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

4. SiR_Chris Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a full build on dsuk should you wish to see the whole process

5. EG6CIVIC Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There some recent threads about this

You need a h22 engine, b-series gearbox, shafts, mounts, linkage, chipped ECU.

Personally I think the h22a7 best engine to go for unless you plan to do any engine work headwork, cams, pistons etc then a h22a JDM would be ideal as the h22a7 ie alot more expensive. Gearbox the 4,7fd may be bit short ratios for daily driving if you use your car for alot of koto way miles

My build is in my sig from a few years back

H2b kit you can get the EVO industries, Qasim, plm or more does one to I think without a adaptor plate

6. Bilz Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes please, could post the link?

Cool bro, I'll have a look,

I think I did 4 motorways journeys last year, so the 4.7 FD is fine for me lol,

How much should I put aside for the conversion?

Was thinking 2k?

7. GymJunkie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Engine: 600-800

Gearbox 300

Conversion Kit 600

Engine Mounts 300

Manifold 250

ECU with Map 250

Other crap like bonnet lifters and air intake etc and a 2.5 inch exhaust if you havent already got one

You also need to get a balance shaft elimination kit, machined down bottom pulley and you will lose air con and power steering (I have heard you can fit power steering if your clever and fab up some custom stuff but I have never seen it done)

Last edited by a moderator: Tuesday 14th Jan, 2014
  8. EG6CIVIC Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

If you already got a bseries in your coupe you can keep those mounts.

Also with the h22a7 you will have to use a b16/b18 IACV valve with a adapter plate to make it fit. Can buy from rosko racing

9. Bilz Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the info :Smile:

Gotta save a bit more, no power steerings seems crap though

Yh I've got a b16 in there, which mounts can I use?

10. EG6CIVIC Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

You can use your normal mounts that are in the car now. The kit will come with the dual post mount you need for the engine, the rest are standard bseries mounts.

But you may want to upgrade the mounts

11. GymJunkie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I would advise this - especially as the engine will be out during the conversion, to upgrade the mounts. They are designed for a 1.6/8 and your going to be putting more weight and torque through them so they will degrade very quickly

Also I hope you will also upgrade your brakes atleast to the minimum 282/262 setup

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 15th Jan, 2014
  12. NDriver Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Not going to pretend I know much about H2Bs as I don't. But in regards power steering. You can use the Karcepts E-PAS kit and keep it if you wish to. Just mounts a MR2 electric PAS pump to the rack and put a 12v + and a - to it and your away :thumbs:

13. EGH_22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You don't have to loose the power steering, and with the balance shaft removal doesnt have to be done just gives a few more HP. Besides in order to do it properly you need to strip the block down to do it and block oil ports off.

Id personally wouldn't bother with an a7 too much money unless u get it check.

My setup cost me

H22a engine 220

Gearbox 170

Loom 45

Euro r inlet 150

Plm manifold 320

3" system

Chipped p28 on chrome 180

Morfs kit 250

14. GymJunkie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I have a H22A7 already so no need to remove the balance shaft then?

Also my prices above were a bit over the top as I just got a S9B gearbox for £130.

Any more info on how to keep the power steering? Got any pics of the setup?

15. huw@spirit9 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A customer of ours fitted a h2b in an ef, he just took the pulleys off and it fitted. But on my h22 i did the bs block off, as said had to strip bottom end to do it, but mine was already apart so didn't matter too much.

16. EGH_22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've taken then belt and pulley off for the balance shaft. In order to do the balance shaft properly requires taking the block strip it get to the oil runners and cap them off mate and when doing that they say its advisory to replace the oil pump.

Ks tuned do this on their website have a look

Buy a relocator bracket about £90 from hond-r

I've deleted my power steering, but you can use it still or like someone else said use an mr2 one as it doesnt run from the engine so won't lose HP

17. Bilz Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

just to let you know guys, i've put a deposit down on a h22a with loom and ecu

and also the h2b kit, this is what the kit is so far  

H2b plate, flywheel spacer and clutch cylinder spacer, made at my work using the qsd dimensions. Worked great in my eg. Also comes with b series flywheel and f1 stage 2 clutch in near new condition,

​got it at a good price so can't complain

so all i need now is the mounts?

was thinking of using my s4c, then later getting a 4.7fd s80?

anything else that i would need?

18. EGH_22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hold on, you done a kit yourself, pics please buddy.

Yes you'll need mounts innovative ones can be bought cheapish, what ECU u got? H22 manifold,s4c box is fine but yea the s80 is better

19. Bilz Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wish I made it myself, no, a fellow member on here is selling their kit, deal was good so got it,

I believe the ECU is the h22 ECU( need to confirm again), can it be used or a p28 is better

got a h22 manifold aswel( which has be modified do I get better ground clearance,

I was thinking innovative mounts , they any good?

I may use my s4c for now till I have enough for a s89,

As the b16(currently in the car) is on its last legs, even smoking when I just cruising lol,

Need to get bigger brakes aswel

20. Bilz Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got the Prelude ECU, was told it'll be fine