Engine & Gearbox H22A7, possibly pinking?

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by Jakk, Wednesday 10th Jul, 2013.

1. Jakk Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

After giving the Accord a good run and plenty of VTEC on Saturday, I noticed a bit of a rattle from 2.5k ish and above. Can't really hear it above 5k ish as the engine just gets pretty loud naturally by then. Revving when in neutral or with the clutch in I can't notice anything.

I immediately shat myself and assumed the worst, but Loplop reckons it sounds like pinking. I've never really heard pinking in another car so have nothing to compare it to. Sounds kinda top end ish, could it be anything in the head like a fucked cam or tappet? I assume it's not as it can't be heard unless under load.

It's on V Power so it's not being caused by shit fuel, but would it be worth trying octane booster? As higher octane is more resistant to pre ignition, so would show if it is pinking surely?

Not sure what oils in it as I've only just bought it but I've been topping it up with 5W40 Castrol Edge.

Cheers!

Also sorry about the big block of text, I put it in paragraphs but my phones fucked it up.

2. Loplop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Have you tried whipping a spark plug out yet mate to see what they look like?

What has lead me to believe it is pinking is: A. The noise. and B. The fact it only happens under load.

It wasn't loud enough to sound 'tappety'.

Spark plug change is definitely worth it though for piece of mind.

3. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Isn't really pale coloured soot on spark plugs usually a sign of pinking or lean mixture?

4. Jakk Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll check all the plugs tonight, and get some new ones tomorrow for peace of mind. Was speaking to Rammy on Friday night actually, he was telling me he had a supercharged Integra which was on iridium plugs, they overheated and made it pink, and then it blew up. Then the next day I notice the noise, haha....

Liam I reckon it's got a bit louder but I'm not sure, can still only hear it with the windows up.

Might just bosh a set of new NGK's in tonight and see what happens.

5. Loplop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I reckon that's you being paranoid Jakk :Wink: You've heard lots of horror stories about H22's and you've got one with high miles so you're kind of expecting it to blow. But the engine is strong mate and the car has been looked after! Just enjoy it :Smile:

6. Jakk Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah pretty much exactly that. Haha

Hope it's not running lean as that means it'll be even worse on fuel when fixed!

7. Turkish Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My A7 was fucking shit lol, nothing but problems!

Hope it's not and your engine is a strong one!

8. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some plug reading for you.

reading_spark_plugs.

9. Loplop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I believe silly little things like this could be problems you run into with the fact it has Full Honda SH.

They still get apprentices there... Maybe one of them got left to change the spark plugs? Put ones for a normal Accord in?

Haha

10. Sandy. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Full Honda service history doesn't mean much these days. Quite possible that some dealers would not know what an ATR is :Tongue:

The garage that fitted my cambelt did not align the balance shafts correctly due to lack of knowledge, things like that happen with older/less common models unfortunately.

11. Law Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If it's on the stock map and bolt ons, there is very little chance of it pinking.

12. Loplop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Not if it's had the wrong spark plugs put in...

13. Adrian EK D15 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Id check plugs aswell.. My H22A8 from a lude did exactly that! when i came to strip the engine for a rebuild anyway i found cracked ringlands on 3 pistons...Gulp

14. Loplop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Don't tell him that! Poor lads gonna be thinkin his Piston rings are fucked now...

They aren't though, car doesn't smoke or use enough oil haha

15. Vtec-daily Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Comp test it jus so u no

16. richjatr85 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

17. Kev_B18 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i hate honda engines there always tapping somehow lol

18. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The fuck happened to that?!

19. tenz78 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Matthew MARKET RASEN
    Honda issued a bulletin about the pinking when the Accord was first released,i might still have it somewhere. I'll have a look at work tomorrow.

20. RandomDan Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like Jakk isnt going to get any sleep tonight lol