Engine & Gearbox h22 heavy mixing of oil and water HELP!

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by shadowracer, Tuesday 16th Oct, 2012.

1. shadowracer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi people,i have a fresh h22a2 engine with a h22a7 Type-R head.quite a bit of work done,cams, springs,retainers,piston rods and gaskets,arp studs.started it recently and it fired fine and idles well.after leaving it running and inspecting for leaks i noticed fluid leaking out of the breather on the rocker cover which i left open and found it was water.took off the rocker cover and saw the mixing was fairly heavy.

only possibilities i can think of is that the headgasket is on the wrong way or there are differences between the h22a7 head and the h22a2. this is quite stressing me at the moment so any help will be greatly appreciated on ideas that prevent me from ripping it all open again

2. harVTEC Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If it's that bad and it's the headgasket then it will definately show up on a compression test, do one of these and see what's what. I'd be very surprised if it didn't show up because obviously a decent amount of water is getting in with the oil.

If compression is all okay then I don't know as I'm not fimiliar with H22s.

HTH

3. DanS Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How would, say, a headgasket failure between a coolant port and an oilway show up on a cylinder compression test?

4. harVTEC Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

True this, didn't think about it properly reading back over it. Okay, a compression test may show all is good but it could still be the headgasket, haha really helpful.

5. shadowracer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

il see if i can borrow a compression tester and give it a go but if that shows all good what other tests can i do and is there any other possibilities for mixing other then the head gasket

6. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can test for exhaust gasses in the coolant with a block tester mate. Are you definately loosing coolant?

7. harVTEC Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can also get a cooling system pressure tester, see if anyone can lend you one.

8. shadowracer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok compression seems fine,don't know where to get a block tester.thinking this may be a heavy condensation issue as the engine has been dormant for a long time but alternate issues are happening.the water is boiling at the over flow.changed the the thermostat twice,same issue.new water pump was fitted with the engine.the pipe at the front gets really hot but the lower one is cold.tried running the car with no thermostat and same issue.what can it be?

need to get this sorted then get the car out the garage for a run around the block and see if there is still mixing

9. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It could be condensation mate. A block tester should be sold at halfords or a motorfactors mate.

It sounds like an air lock also, try jacking the front up as high as possible and running it without the rad cap on

10. H22_Dan.. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you bled the thermo aswell ? Mine use to get real hot on the top pipe and cold on the lower , I undid the thermo bleed nipple and it had a big air blockage

11. shadowracer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've tried undoing the nipple on the thermo but nothing comes out

12. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If nothing comes out it sounds like an air lock. You should get a HISS of air then coolant

13. H22_Dan.. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Undo the nipple and run the engine , it will be an air lock , tbh I've rarely seen a head gasket failure on any Honda tbh , just keep it running untill water is flowing out smoothly , keep an eye on the water level though as mine was a big air lock and took a good few minutes to bleed

14. shadowracer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

i bled the system and still kept bubbling on from the overflow but thermostat was opening and both pipes are now getting warm.it would bubble out of the bleed nipple a couple times then it stopped,should it just keep flowing liquid out of it?

the mixing seemed to stop when i drove the car round the block but there seems to now be a little dribble of oil coming from the front of the engine by the 2 corners near the head gasket and i still feel i may have put the gasket on the wrong way.theres a bit of the head gasket sticking out on the side near the gearbox and i think its sappost to be on the other side.can anyone please confirm before i have to open this all up.also could this be the reason for the bubbling up of the coolant

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh186/urbanstyle69/IMAG0890.jpg

IMAG0890.

15. Afy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What was this in the end ....

Did you figure it out.

16. Kev_B18 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

don't do this the coolant system works on pressure so the fan may not kick in putting your fress engine at risk and prob won't get rid of all if any airlocks. if you want a simple bleed find the highest point in the coolant system and after running it under pressure keep opening it (usually its a small pipe so easy to slip on and off) to release the air, does the same as a bleed nipple but obvs air will find the highest point naturally 

17. mad3Ga Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a Head gasket failure about a year ago. Replaced with OEM gasket, which failed in 6 months, proper chocolate milkshake :Frown: .

Turns out my head was warped from some when earlier, and it needed skimming. Also not sure about H22, but on B series I can't imagine someone putting the HG the other way around, as this "slips" in it's place.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 25th Jul, 2014
  18. shadowracer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cars been sat in the garage for years untouched. Last thing I did was drain the oil to strip the head off to see what happened about 4 months ago.but because the angle of the engine from the h2b kit could not get all the oil out as i was hoping it's just condensation in the engine and an oil change would help things.removed the sump to drill a new hole at the lowest point and weld a bung in only to find metal pieces in the sump :Frown: so the car has just sat since then as I've got 2 other projects on the go.but hopefully sometime In the coming month il open it up and can update on what went wrong