Check the full guide here.

K24CL9Guy likes this.
  2. K24CL9Guy Warehouse Manager H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    I need this in my life too

dinoc likes this.
  3. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    Yes I think is a very good investment and it gives the freedom to play music from whatever source you want (USB stick, Android phone, Iphone, or streaming over 3G/4G network).
    In my case I like to keep the music on my phone or listen streamings from apps like soundcloud.
    Optional you can add Bluetooth dongle for audio streaming or hands free calls.
    And now they are releasing an optional HD radio dongle too (DAB radio - they are in beta testing with this).

4. K24CL9Guy Warehouse Manager H-Tune Staff

If I could plug my phone in I could just play 1xtra all the time lol as have loads of data that I don't use :Smile: cheaper than buying a DAB double din stereo for sure.

5. mustnap Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    what happened to your XCarlink kit?

6. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    I donated the unit :Smile:

7. Gkkiux New Member Getting Started

Hi, thanks for the guide, I got this device myself after reading this guide a couple years ago.
    I was having some weird freezing issues (perhaps literally - it was mostly in winter) after plugging the phone in at the wrong time. It would make the whole navigation system lock up until I got back in and unplugged the GROM unit. Contacted support, got this diagram and put a switch in the BATT lead. It's not ideal, but if any problems arise, now I can properly reset the thing without having to undo any panels (except the loose one in passenger's footwell).
    Just a heads up if anyone else has had similar issues. Hell, my new phone was killing it every time before a firmware update.
    hon1m_rev1.GIF

K24CL9Guy likes this.
  8. K24CL9Guy Warehouse Manager H-Tune Staff

@Leo at H-Tune might be something for you to look at if yours keeps playing up. Thanks for the info @Gkkiux :Thumbup:

9. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

I'd throw in my tuppence on this as I had a grom kit at one point.. Sadly my experience wasn't as good... not because the grom unit itself was bad... but let's get to that later.

My issue is with the UK reseller, know as either carputer or mannocks... these guys in my opinion are nothing less than liars and thieves. They sell you stuff that when determined to be faulty will do everything they can to rip you off more.

My system the USB3 model kept resetting whilst I was driving, it also kept losing BT connection upon first starting the car.

After going back and forth with them and having demands for anything up to a hundred pounds to replace a faulty part.. I turned directly to grom themselves in the USA.

They were very helpful, they sent me out a replacement wiring loom from California for free as they thought that was the most likely cause (loose wiring somewhere) when mannocks wouldn't do the same from 40 miles up the road unless I paid them for it.

Because I paid via paypal, I was running short on time for a claim... mannocks point blank refused to refund me for a faulty unit and wouldn't do anything to help diagnose it unless I paid them... So in disgust I started a paypal claim, removed the unit and sent it back and got a full refund.

Then following day the replacement loom arrived from grom in the USA... But it had to be returned before a certain date or lose the ability to claim the refund.

If mannocks hadn't been such arrogant, rude, obnoxious frelling idiots.. I may have got it resolved. Instead the lost a sale, had to get a unit returned at their expense and have simply made me so angry that I will happily bad mouth their company to anyone who ever mentions that they're thinking of buying a grom.

I'm not bad mouthing the grom units themselves... but the ONLY uk reseller.

By all eamns get one... just get it direct from grom or another reseller based in the EU or something. Do not under any circumstances give mannocks/carputer a penny of your money. They a waste of space, they lie about everything and will always try and deny you your statutory consumer rights.

As for the unit itself... when it worked it was great. But it had a major flaw when fitted in a diesel and this was something i spent a great deal of time explaining to grom themselves in the hope they would fix it.

When you turn the ignition on, the unit powers up and immediately connects to your phone... you'd think this is great... but it's not. You see it's a diesel you turn the ignition on, pause for the glow plug to go out and then start the engine. This means that the headunit that powers the grom is reset losing the BT connection to your phone... and because the delay between the phone recognising the connection and the grom resetting and trying to reconnect.... it NEVER reconnects which means you have to manually turn BT off and on again and reconnect to the grom.

This is highly annoying when you have to do it every time.

I suggest to grom that this could be overcome with a simple delay in the connection being made... I have no idea if they ever implemented such a thing though as mine was removed shortly afterwards.

For what it costs... I'm not sure it's worth it. mine was almost £150 when you factor in the unit, mic, bt dongle and everything else.. if that lot was sub £100 and you could buy it from some where else... Yeah, I'd recommend it.

But with such a pathetic Uk reseller... I'd never recommend getting one from them... and grom know why.

10. Gkkiux New Member Getting Started

For me it wasn't every time, but the BT issue was quite annoying. When it didn't reconnect, it would stay that way until I restarted the car. Only switched to it since Android 9, so I just kinda dealt with it. Bluetooth works much faster and seemingly without fail with the latest firmware.
    Kinda sucks that USB doesn't work with every music player on Android anymore though

11. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

Yeah, you can get around it by switching off.. waiting 10 or so seconds and then switching it back on again... but with a diesel you can't do that when it's cold. Once warmed up you can pretty much start them as soon as you turn the ignition on.

So from the sound of it.. they never took my advice. Not surprised, Yanks don;t understand diesels as they never have cars with those types of engines... only trucks and massive pickups do.

12. tigmar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Ian Pedreguer
    For less than £20, one can buy a Bluetooth Transmitter. Pair your Android/whatever phone with it, and play music. Transmit on your chosen frequency and tune the radio to listen.

13. hundreder New Member Getting Started

Serbia Hundreder Beograd
    Those fm transmiters are are degrading audio quality a lot. Not worth the money in my opinion. For something like t0gbp there is similar unit to grom, called yatour. I irdered it from aliexpress so will see how it handles bt streaming.