Golf 3rd Generation. Veiws?? Any good

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by ChrisyBoi, Saturday 21st Nov, 2009.

1. ChrisyBoi Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i say this as my brother has just turned 17 and obviosly wants a car now he aint got alot of monies and can't afford to spend alot on insurance so i said to him get summot low and slow :Smile: looking at dubs and decided the best for his budget would be a 3rd Generation coz they look smart amd the 1.4 are cheap on insurance and look quite good. now wat do people rekon to 3rd Generation's any one had one are they any good.

2. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

there slow and heavy lol id go for a 2nd Generation if it was me tbh if he wants a golf....

everyone i know who owns a golf or in the dub scene says there wank but yeah i dunno never owned one.

3. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As above, MKII, or MKIV - personally, I don't like the looks of MKIII/MKV or MKVI Golfs and you see them everywhere

4. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

1st Generation ftw!

5. Ross18 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My mate had a 3rd Generation vr6 which sounded good but wasnt as fast as you would expect for 2.8 liter and 9 MPG was terrible, then he got a 4 speed 2nd Generation which has been nothing but problems, i would just stay clear.

6. scottboy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My ex's felt like it was gonna roll over all the time

7. lukethelaw Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

3rd Generation's are really boxy really heavier and like scottboy said they handle like a wheelbarrow. Best bet is a 2nd Generation but I've had two and i had nothing but troubles with both.

Nothing major but constant hassle, always something needing looking at

8. b18coupe Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

9mpg!! bloodly hell somethin was wrong there i looked after my m8s vr6 while he went away n i was gettin 24mpg around town n 42mpg on the a30 without tryin. it was a nice drive but way 2 heavy 4 connering at speed. he has coilovas n i had 40mm springs on my ej2 n he cudnt lose me through the bends lol. so depends on WOT the roads r like where u live n his plans 4 it

9. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2nd Generation Gti, get that 1.8 pulling!! XD

Nah but my mate has a 2nd Generation and with some TLC they really do shine. And i think it just depends on how well looked after they were, some are minters and work fine all the time, some have been battered and work like a dick sucking fish.

10. ChrisyBoi Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i think mk 2s are cool but the nice ones are alot of money and he aint arsed about it going fast he says there no point becouse i will always have one faster so he says he is gona get one that looks better lol

11. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4th Generation golf - they look quite decent. The 2nd Generation would be decent enough on a budget.

The 3rd Generation is fat and boring. All of its models sucked - they handled poorly and the GTi was really slow. The VR6 was disapointing as well.

12. johnb25-6 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

unless its a high spec model, mk3s are drab and boring.

mk2s are much more fun but yes do take more maintaining.

mk1s are silly expensive at the moment

13. WIlkesyMB6 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Im not a fan of golfs, 5th Generation are alright. My bro had a TDi and it was good until the box went and he had to pay

14. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Just so you know, MKII and MKIII have the same suspension, so that is telling you "how much" advancement VW put in when developing the MKIII.

Personally, MKII > MKIII any days. :Smile:

15. johnb25-6 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

in the same respect eks have similar suspension to EG's

tell him to get a vento or a jetta anyway. i ran a 2nd Generation jetta 2.0 16v on bike carbs,

much love for the booooots

16. Togger Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My first car was a 3rd Generation. It is 'the fat golf', and is not as fast as the 2nd Generation etc. HOWEVER, it DOES have power steering, electric windows/mirrors/sunroof and all that Jazz. Mine was pretty reliable, and i like the 'heavyness' of it, made me feel safer than i do in the sol il tell you that! (even if i wasnt) It has a decient amount of space in the back, and with a very common wheel fitment, you can get some nice alloys on the cheap second hand. Lower it and you can have a nice car for not alont of money. Like you said, he is 17, and needs something cheap, and realitvley relaible.

17. johnb25-6 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yep. the highspecced ones are only worth considering. if your gonna get a low specced shitbox don't make it a 3rd Generation

18. madvtecyo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

3rd Generation is a better bet for a first car due to the insurance being cheaper than for a 2nd Generation along with the maintenance and running costs. they aren't the most dynamic cars but who gives a fuck, the dude is 17 and only knows how to pass a test. let him learn to drive in something dogshit slow and heavy, then buy something decent in a year or two

19. ChrisyBoi Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

exactly my thinking mate he only has a grand to spend on the car and for that money you can get a decent looking 3rd Generation or for a little more a quite nice one he aint arsed about speed or handeling as he is going for low and slow. you can't find a 2nd Generation looking good for that amount of money becouse they would have had a load spent on them to get them looking good.

20. Togger Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

indeed, plus the chances are there may be the odd bump or scrape on it so there is no point in spending loads.