Engine & Gearbox Gearbox issue

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by dogg1210, Wednesday 22nd Oct, 2014.

1. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi guys my Civic coupe with h22a7 engine and box is got issues with gear change if I redline in second and change into 3rd it sometimes doesn't engage and goes soggy it done it again tonight and wouldn't go into 1st or 3rd then after driving it for 5 mins it was fine again?? Anyone ever had this??

2. -vin- Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Could possibly be the syncros 

3. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Could it be the cables

4. graham27 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It doesn't have cables, it's a solid linkage. If it gets better when warm then it's something within the gearbox, could be needing fresh fluid at the very least, synchros would be my guess too though

5. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Someone on here said they are cable. Quote (Yeh the anything with a h or f series engine in it has cable linkages, theres no way of doing the swap without them I'm afraid. )

6. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

it was warm when it happened mate then sorted itself out?

7. -vin- Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

After what 'Graham27' has said, if it was me, I'd go purchase some gearbox oil first and see if that cures it, as its cheapest thing to try first. 

8. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

think ill do that this weekend is it best to get the oil from honda think its £12 a ltr am a right in thinking i need 3 ltrs

9. -vin- Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just had a look on Autodata using my number plate - says to use Honda MTF (which I'd personally use anyway) and a capacity of 1.8 litres. Generally you'd just fill the gearbox up with oil, till the oil comes back out the filling hole. 

10. Kev_B18 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

its solid linkages if its a h2b but if its a normal h series box its cables however it sounds allot more than linkages, defo internal 

11. graham27 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I didn't even see the h22 bit - my bad! Regardless, fresh oil is the cheapest thing to try and looking at the old oil will give some idea of what condition the insides are in

12. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

if it was the internals like synchro's would it not crunch all time tho? It's only done it a few times and it's been when iv try to put it into 3rd from flat out in 2nd and it's like the gear just disappears and it goes all spongy lol

13. Flawless Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malta
    It might and might not mate. 

It crunches at times, stops and then crunches till the linkage is dead. Overall, replacing a linkage is quite costly.. it would be to find a refurbished gearbox and whilst on the investment, an LSD gearbox would do you good :Smile:

14. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I can get a shiftbox and cables for a good price and prob be better doing that 1st and see if it solves it before buy another gearbox only to find out it's the cables lol. The accord gearbox already has an LSD man

15. Kev_B18 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

get the car up in the air wedge the clutch down and will a pole and put a peg on the throttle to keep it around say 2k try manually adjusting the linkage arms in and out of gear where the cables fix (its not for the faint hearted being under the engine / box while its in operation) see if it does iit then, i had an issue with this on my mr2 thought it was the box turned out to be where the cables fixed to the box but that was crunching on every gear and clunky 2 washers took up the play and sorted out the short shift,

if its only doing it on certain gears it could still be syncro tho :Frown:  

16. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

It only ever does it when am nailing it to redline then go for 3rd but it's only done it two or three times? No crunching at all just goes spongy

Bloody h22 box lol if you didn't have to change gear bang on limiter so that it doesn't drop out of tec then it wouldn't be a problem haha

17. Kev_B18 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

know it sounds daft but are you sure its defo not user error just getting the clutch timing wrong on those few times ? just ruling it out as your crossing the box instead of straight back, every now and again my leg moves quicker than my arm and i miss or crunch into gear when trying to change at lightening speed 

18. dogg1210 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

How dare you suggest that lol NA man when it does it it stays like that for about 5 mins 3rd just disappears as does 1st? But it goes back to normal after about 5mins

19. Kev_B18 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

weird thing mate without being there and seeing it its a tough one to narrow down as it seems to be intermittent