Gear stick yanked downward

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by vtec_houch7, Sunday 3rd Jan, 2010.

1. vtec_houch7 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey everyone,

Great start to the new year ....... Not!

Hit a pothole doing about 25-30mph, sounded like something had shattered underneath me, was clearly full of ICE ni was the first to break it.

Had a quick look under car, all looked ok, but when i got back into the car, my gear stick n gaitor etc had been yanked downward.

Could this be the plate the it sits on underneath has been pulled down or any suggestions on what it could be?

THanks, Luke

Happy New Year :Grin:

2. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

probably bent the stabiliser rod in the middle, you could possibly bend it straight or replace it quite cheap if it was that.

3. Jasonday2007 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i was also gonna say, check your shifter linkage & stabiliser rods.

Have a nosey around the bolts, bush's and mountings, something could have given way, especially under the cold temps.

4. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Common thing is that the shift stablizer bush will come off from the chassis, Doesnt take too long to put it back on and only around

5. sdots Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

^^ What he said and if it's broken, it's cheaply replaceable :Smile:

6. Jasonday2007 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just purchased those energy bush's afew days ago to prevent these things happening.

It happened on my old nissan and was a ballache to sort (i didnt have a clue at the time)

7. vtec_houch7 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Been at mates garage tonight to have a look underneath, nothing to show why it happened, but found a few other bits that need sorting over the next few weeks, whether from the recent weather, or other bits that weren't done properly previously.

L