Gear changes not smooth

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by TwistedSanity666, Wednesday 2nd Dec, 2009.

1. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I change gears, the gearstick seems to catch on something, before moving into gear, it just doesn't change smoothly and the worst one is when going into reverse. I don't hear any crunching of the gears and the car drives fine otherwise.

I had this on my EG before and I've had this on my coop since I bought it, most of the time it's not noticeable, but from time to time it's bad.

Any ideas what this could be? thanks

2. linh-ej9 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

is this all gear? i use to have this problem with my 5th gear

3. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I kinda get this with first gear, it sorta...sticks but the gears don't feel sticky. Is it a resistance you're getting like it's not quite going where it should then with some effort it finally does?

4. killa_vtec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try changing the gearbox oil guys... makes a huge difference

5. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Every gear :Tongue:

Where on the car do I do that?!

6. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

the gearbox surprisingly :lol:

7. Tobiasnugent Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Legend

8. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lol, yes, but me being not very familiar with the engine entirely, where is the gearbox exactly?

9. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Changing the gearbox oil is a bit less straight forward than engine oil, so I would recommend getting a garage doing it.

You should get the MTF fluid from Honda, some people say the Rover MTF fluid will do also.

And to answer your question... the gearbox is directly under the engine. :Grin:

10. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks, I had a feeling it was under the engine - I'll get some Honda MTF fluid and get that changed :Smile:

11. Gary. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

...stick to coilovers mate

12. -Jamie- Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

hahaha jeeeeeez, don't even work on a car if u don't know which bit is the gearbox!

13. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Hey, I get to be cheeky once a while too right? :drunk:

14. M1N1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I changed Stu Jothams gearbox oil for him. He had similar symptoms.

Changed it for HONDA MTF and all is well. No crunching. He's a happy badger now!

So get the oil changed first and then take it from there.

15. kipper Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I find this problem at times only when the car's just been started from cold, Once it heats up a bit seems fine :Smile: . I changed my gearbox oil aswell, made a slight difference, 12k miles ago though :| .

16. Sirk Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i've always used engine oil when i've changed it

17. civic_bitch Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hey

So glad this forum exists coz I've got EXACTLY this same problem, lol... Gears don't crunch or anything but when you dip your clutch and go to change gear it seems to hit summit then go in place..

Noticed to, when your giving it some beans the gears just don't wana go in what so ever, lol ?

Shud I try changing it... I know its got some expensive purple stuff in (i could be wrong tho) so what do people recommend i go and get and how much is it and how much will I need....

Cheers

Ashleigh

18. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda MTF, from honda, about

19. civic_bitch Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers huni, thats what it shud be... nice and simple :Grin:

20. killa_vtec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is definatly worth the money also... makes a big difference to gear changes

http://www.funkypower.co.uk/catalogue.php?make=HONDA&model=Civic&year=1996-00+Civic&level1=TRANSMISSION+%26+DRIVETRAIN&level2=SHIFTER+BUSHINGS&level3=&id_product=4229