Service & Maintenance FRONT BRAKE PADS 2009 EX TOURER

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by FUGMASTER, Saturday 9th Mar, 2019.

1. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Hi Gang, you can tell that Spring is on my mind, and hopefully more consistently better (dry!) weather, as I'm compiling a list of things that'll need doing to my Accord!

Question: Are all front break pads the same on the 8th generation Accords, as I know that the calipers differ, and is it worth (ie much cheaper / just as durable ) buying non-Honda parts(if so, which?).

All help / suggestions gratefully received!

2. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
  3. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Thanks, Blunder, I'll check'em out; the only reason I enquired( I have the EX Tourer 2.2 I-DTEC, by the way), is that my calipers have the side clip that needs removing first, whereas I'd seen other similar Accords with calipers that don't, so assumed the lads were different too??

4. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Apologies, that should be Bounder; that'll teach me to reply from my Phone! Thanks again!

5. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
  6. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Nice! I'll replace the spring clips too! Thanks again

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  7. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

My Accord tourer has the twin pot calliper fitted to the fronts. Worth checking 1st.....

8. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    It does seem a bit strange; even with the ATE type ( as mine has the Wife clip, it'll be there I have), there appears to be two different styles of calipers?? I've ordered some Ferodo, as suggestedvearlier.

9. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    I had a look at some schematics and the 2.4 EX from 2009 onwards has the Akebono style two pot calipers, the 2008 2.4 does not.
    To be honest I never thought of the petrol versions I was only thinking of the diesels mainly because there are so few petrols over here.

10. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Quick update, as pads successfully changed to Ferodo, and all good. Many Thanks to all

Bounder likes this.
  11. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Excellent. Good news

12. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    I also brought a balance to my front calipers (brought ATE pads to ATE calipers :Grin:). Perfectly balanced. As all things should be. :Grin:

2019-04-08 15.46.43-1.

Here is comparison between TRW and ATE front brake pads:
    ATE pads are "sloted" and has big chamfered edges. Which are better than none.
    2019-04-08 15.59.10. 2019-04-08 16.41.01.

13. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    The chamfer helps to stop squealing, the groove is to show wear. You can cut the groove with a hacksaw if you want, brake material cuts really easily.
    I used to cut diagonal grooves in motorcycle drum brake shoes back when I raced them.
    If you are refitting old pads a rub on coarse sand paper can help with initial bedding in feel, rather than leaving the glazed surface.

14. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Drilled and grooved discs! Nice :Wink:

15. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Wow, where did you get those discs; look impressive, and more importantly, more responsive??

16. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    nothing ground braking, but feels better. the worse thing, that it gave me confident for brakes, so in addition to this i often driving above speed limits and braking late :Grin: its stops good.

interesting enough, brake disc manufacturer did not allowed me to use ceramic brake pads (a.k.a yellow sstuff from EBC), they said it will ruin my brake disc, so i went most expensive OEM pads i could find.

here are some more shots of brand new disks:
    2019-04-08 15.04.48-1.
    2019-04-08 15.53.43-1.
    Here is after one month of driving (i washed my car, and it instantly covered in rust) :Smile: :
    2019-05-04 18.17.44. 2019-05-04 18.18.07.

Also, my rear disk brake not slotted or drilled, but paint coated. looks good.
    2019-04-07 19.34.50.

17. FUGMASTER Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England ALAN HASLEMERE
    Happy driving; they certainly look the biz!