Introductions FR-V Owner - Isle of Wight

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by freshwateriow, Sunday 10th Nov, 2019.

1. freshwateriow Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Shorter Ryde
    Hi, I am Dave form the Isle of Wight I bought an FR-V for my daughter and family a year ago and she loves it.
    It developed problem so I hope maybe I can get some help.
    Thanks

MattBeardless likes this.
  2. freshwateriow Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wonder if anyone may be able to help?
    The car is a 2006 1.7 petrol, my daughter said the engine started to make a knocking noise. No oil light came on. We did a check and the piston at the pulley wheel end had movement, suggesting a spun big end bearing. We stripped the bottom out and sure enough the shells had spun. There was no damage or scoring on the other three bearings. We replaced all shell bearings and cleaned up the crank journal and the big ends. We checked the journal diameter and it was within spec. Checked that the oil ways were clear with an extra long pipe cleaner and all was ok. Replaced the oil filter and oil.
    Rebuilt the bottom end and fired her up, the oil pressure light came on when you turned the ignition switch and went off once pressure had built up. All was fine for around 10 minutes then again it spun up. There was again no damage or scoring on the other three bearings. Any ideas?
    Maybe if anyone has a spare big end standard bearing cap to try, as I running out of ideas.
    Finally will any D17A2 engine run in the FR-V or does it need the ECU as well, I would move all sensors over to the replacement engine.
    Thanks in advance Dave

3. MattBeardless Manager in Training H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom Matt Derby
    I'd hazard a guess that this should run okay providing you use the same sensors and manifolds as found in your FR-V, though don't quote me on that. You'll need to retain the factory ECU in order to make the immobilizer rings on the column match up to what's coded to the ECU.

4. freshwateriow Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the tip, that was going to be my plan just to move everything across. Trying to find a way to check that the oil pump is delivering oil to the crank journal, there was definitely more oil on the good bearing than the noisy one. I tried a pip cleaner in the oil way an it was clean though you cannot get along the parallel oil way.

5. freshwateriow Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The plan this weekend is to clean the oil strainer and refit, then use a temporary sump and turn the engine over by hand to draw oil through the oil pump. I hope this will show me if I am getting oil to all the big end bearings. If there is a blockage I will do the same but with petrol to hopefully break down any sludge that has built up. Any suggestions gratefully received.

6. freshwateriow Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well that did no go according to plan, temporary sump fitted and turned engine over by hand and the oil was not drawn up by the pump (I have the crank bearing support assembly removed as well). I now assume the oil is drawn from the sump through the strainer by the oil pump and then goes through the oil filter not straight to the crank as I first thought. Anyone know how the oil is routed to the crank and then the big end journals and how to confirm oil is fed to the journal. Thanks in advance.