FR-V oil leak

Discussion in 'Honda K-Series' started by Craig830, Saturday 11th May, 2019.

1. Craig830 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Craig Rothbury
    Hi all

I have recently purchased a 2 litre FR-V that was posted on It's MOT as having a small oil leak, yet the engine bay had been cleaned and nothing was visibly wet.

Fast forward a few hundred miles and I have found it. It is leaking through the flywheel vent on the bottom of the Bell-housing, leading me to suspect that it's the main rear crank seal.

Has anyone changed one of these before?

2. Craig830 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got a local reputable garage to do it in the end. They replaced the rear main seal after confirming it was failing, and then had to strip it all down again when we realised that it was still leaking.

Turns out that the replaced seal was fine, but the work had inadvertently set a leak off from the sump mating face.

The first round of work cost £550 for a clutch, rear main seal, and labour.

The second round of work was free of charge, so i now have a perfectly running K20A9 again!

Sandy52, MattBeardless and andy83 like this.
  3. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate K20 great engine will be worth the cost of repairs like that keep her well serviced, how many miles on her..
    Thanks
    Andy

4. Craig830 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just passed the 100k mark, so a good few years in it yet.

This week I've fitted a new set of NGK sparks (copper), and found that the previous owner had fitted (or had fitted) a set of Bosch super 4's, the middle two of which were hand tight!!!

I also fitted a new Contitech 1770 aux belt, which was a bugger to get in.

An oil change will be done tonight, along with a replacement set of front brake pads (Brembo, as the current ones that were on when i got it keep twisting in the caliper carriers and smoking even though i have stripped and cleaned, leading me to believe they are just cheap nasties).

Taking the wife and 4 kids on a week holiday in the western highlands this weekend, then will adjust the valve clearances when we return.

Sandy52 and andy83 like this.
  5. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    mate 100K that is no big miles on one of these so yes a few more good years on her, good to hear you fitted NGK plugs in her mate keep garage log updated on her mate would be nice to see her in more detail...

MattBeardless likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear she's back to full health and good on the garage for admitting their mistake and not charging second time round

Craig830 likes this.