Engine & Gearbox First time clutch changer on a H22

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by hondaej666, Sunday 13th Oct, 2013.

1. Right my clutch needs changing now that it slips when I floor it :Frown:

I thought i'd give it a go myself..

Car: h22a7 accord Type-R.

Are there any torque specs when putting it on?

Any tips for when attempting?

Main stages?

Thanks!

2. rodney19890161 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

http://www.torkspec.com/index.aspx

Almost every torque setting for any car on there. Biggest tip is take your time make shore you drain all the box oil. Helps to have a friend to lif it back in and have fun

3. Dean Collier Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

start by taking anything off above gearbox like air box, unbolt starter and top bellhouse bolts, unbolt slave cylinder, take gearllinkages off, disconnect reverse light switch and speed sensor, jack car up unbolt lower arms both side hit arms to pop balljoints out off the hubs, lever both driveshafts out can either unbolt them from hubs and take them fully off or just pull them out the way, put surport under engine like a jack to hold the weight, undo rest off bellhouse bolts leave 1 in, undo gearbox mounts not to sure how many there is think 3, lower engine down abit undo final bolt wiggle gearbox off might have to lever it slightly, clutch is bolted on with 6 bolts maybe more can't remember undo them, if u got a clutch aligner tool then great use it or line it up by eye then tighten bolts down put a bit of copper grease on spines off clutch then reverse the order to put it back on

4. Alot of help! Thanks man!!!!!

5. Law Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Locktite the pressure plate bolts in too.

6. EGH_22 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^^^ or if not go FT on them

7. Dean Collier Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

they are only small bolts on the clutch i wouldn't go over the top with them don't want to snap them in the flywheel

8. Law Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Exactly that. IIRC they are only 40lbft or something like that.

9. richjatr85 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

You also have to split the subframe to remove, 3/4 inch nut gun would not do this and had to get my dad's big 1/2 inch gun on them.

Maybe while it's out get the 5th gear synchro checked as these fail on them, has it got air-con? There is a 10mm bolt holding a bracket for the air-con pipe onto the subframe, it's passenger side at the front of subframe

Have only ever done these on a ramp, fuck doing it on a driveway.

10. Kozy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to do this on the driveway and think that you can do it without removing the subframe. You cannot move the box over enough to align the clutch and tighten it down without that extra space.

Mine ended up being packed off on a flatbed for a garage to fix after I tried to cut corners!

Personally, I would recommend paying a garage to do it.