First start after a year - what to do?

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by dslopees, Sunday 31st Mar, 2019.

1. dslopees Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom dslopees Cambridge
    Hi everyone,
    I will be doing my engine swap in about two weeks, and I would like to know what is the best thing to do when the engine is without running for a year..
    Some people say to prime the engine without the ECU connected a couple of times so the oil goes through the engine but I also saw some people that put a bit of oil on top of the pistons :Unknown:

2. deviator Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would do both. Remove the plugs, (I'm assuming petrol) use either oil or diesel down the plug holes. You don't need too much. Leave the plugs out as it will allow the engine to turn over quicker and help raise the oil pressure. It's worth having a cloth loosely over the plug holes in case oil/diesel spits up, as it stops the oil spraying you engine bay. Disable the fuel and crank.

If you are taking the cam cover off for any reason, it's worth a coat of oil over the valve train.

SpeedyGee and dslopees like this.
  3. dslopees Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's very helpful. I will do both and since I have the cam cover off I will add a bit oil over it, thank you for your help @deviator

4. deviator Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You are more than welcome. I would certainly give it a good crank, ideally whilst someone looks in the oil filler hole waiting for oil splashing around.

As a general rule, 10 seconds of cranking followed by 30 seconds wait. This is because the starting system isn't normally run for this longs and can overheat/melt stuff.

dslopees likes this.
  5. dslopees Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's a good tip, how many times should I crank? once is enough?

6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Some good tips there @deviator :Thumbup:

@dslopees when you've gone through the trouble of doing all that setup, why no do the cranking like 3 times. That will give you 30 seconds in total in cranking, which is plenty for getting things primed up oil.

dslopees likes this.
  7. dslopees Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@SpeedyGee I will do that, thank you for the advice! I'm planing on doing a guide of the swap, I will make sure to credit both of you :Grin: