General First Car

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Lewis at H-Tune, Friday 4th Jan, 2019.

1. Lewis at H-Tune Ex-Staff

United Kingdom Lewis Corby
    Hey everyone,

As you may have noticed in my first post i am currently learning to drive, i was just wondering what everyone had as their first car once they had passed their driving test.

Post a picture if you have any :]

2. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    honda_saj and Lewis at H-Tune like this.
  3. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

My first car was a 1983 Vaxhaul Cavalier 1.6L. It was at least 10yrs old when I got it around 92/93... My uncle owned it, then my dad who gave it to me providing I did some work to fix it up. It was my first modded car too... I replaced all the interior with one from a GLX model, upgraded the speakers and stereo and replaced a door and wing.

It was a fairly reliable car, and I was able to work on it myself very easily... replacing hoses, brakes and gaskets.

I ended up owning 3 Cavaliers over the years, 2 like this one and then one of the last models ever made in the 2lt Sport trim. Aside from my Mazda MX6's... it the model I've owned the most of over my 27yrs of driving.
    8f69dae1a3c40d8d7cbe21ad021d1b10.

4. 1066Boy Premium Member Club Supporter

Rover SD1, Insurance was cheap back then. :Frown:

5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Lewis at H-Tune likes this.
  6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    rover 213 (honda engine)

Lewis at H-Tune likes this.
  7. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

My first car was a Toyota Conquest RSI in Africa (In this country known as a Toyota Corolla GTI). It was bought as a crashed up car in which the driver died by flying through the windscreen, when I was like 14/15. My mother told me that if I wanted a car, there it was, but I would have to learn how to fix it as no child of hers is going to take anything in life for granted. She paid for any expenses for it on the agreement that I don't give up. No internet in those days so I spent my afternoons (when not with the high school girlfriend - sometimes she helped through which was awesome) , taking apart the car, and teaching myself body work and mechanics. Took me about a year to get it back on the road. My mother is the reason I fell in love with cars - because of the life lesson she chose to teach me. My son, is going to build his own car in a few years. He already knows this, and is already getting excited. It looked like this - but was a deep burgundy red - custom colour as the whole car needed painting anyway. Powered by a 1.6 ltr, 4A-GE engine, redlined around 7600rpm, 16v twin cam, 1990 or 1991 with over 200,000kms on the clock when it was bought. 0-60mph within 7 secs or so.

This car was the car which made me fall in love with cars.

toyota_conquest_1994_toyota_conquest_180_rsi_1980067535636909143.

8. jcalvarez Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Jose Dunfermline
    Renault Laguna, P-reg, company car. The first car I owned was an X-reg Accord 1.8 SE saloon.

DrSam likes this.
  9. harVTEC Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good luck in your learning to drive Lewis, my first car was this Honda Civic VTEC Sport which I bought when I was 16 and spent a year tidying up and messing about with. I originally wanted an EK3, but the insurance was double the price of the MB3 policy, which was already savage :Laughing:

1185509_10200586047433169_1127041500_n.

10. Adrian Flux Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Norfolk
    Hi.
    When you have a car in mind if you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
    Regards,
    Dan.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. MickyG1982 New Member Getting Started

Scotland Mike Lossiemouth
    First car I ever owned, a C Reg Volvo 360, in brown. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) it was too far gone to fix, when you can pole holes in the chassis with your finger it's pretty much done for!

Car I learned to drive in, my parents N reg Renault Laguna estate 2.2 Diesel. Big, heavy and slow but a lovely car to drive.

Then of course, the first car that I owned and could drive, a H reg Ford Fiesta 1.1 popular plus (I'm not sure what was plus about it). Manual choke, 4 gears, no power steering, sticky brakes, a true shed... Still, it worked, it was mine and it never once broke down.

12. RichCRX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Richard Milton keynes
    My first car was an A reg 1.0L Nova in white with SR brown chequer interior. 4 Speed as well. God thing got abused before I sold it lol.

13. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Mine was a green Mk.1 1200 cc Cortina bought 2nd hand from a relative who owned a Ford dealership in Southend. I got it just after passing the test in 1967. My 1st new car was a Fiat 128 bought in 1970 from the Rolls Royce dealer, Jack Barclay, in the West End (and yes, they did sell Fiats as well as Rollers in those days) . It was the 1st of many new cars and I've never bought a 2nd hand one since the Cortina.

Keith

14. mw88 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Passed my test in 2007, and had a blue 1.1 N Reg Peugeot 106 similar to the one below.

peugeot-106-peugeot-106-xn-24-service-stamps-long-mot-bleu_6529867410.

15. HondaNinja Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Middlesbrough
    Common first cars round here are Corsas, Fiestas, Golfs, Polos, and Fiat 500s. And then of course you get some of the lucky kids who are fortunate enough to start out with an A1 or a 1 Series! In terms of the most popular though I'd probably say the big three are Corsas, Fiestas and 500s, ranging from 10 years old-new.