Reviews Falken HS449 Eurowinter tyres (225/60 R18 100H)

Discussion in 'Member's Reviews' started by FirstHonda, Monday 5th Dec, 2016.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    As promised on this this thread Which winter tyres? | Page 6 (Tyres & Wheels - ) this thread is for initial impressions and then a running report on the Winter tyres fitted to my CR-V, i.e. Falken HS449 Eurowinter.

The reviews for this tyre - given the price of £90 each from Oponeo - are generally positive. It gets high marks for traction and braking, especially in icy conditions and snow, but lower marks for economy.

Initial impressions
    I've now driven about 50 miles since these were fitted, in temperatures between -7 and +3 degrees. The conditions here have been very cold and frosty, and my driving thus far has been mainly either country lanes or B-roads - so quite a nice test.

Unfortunately I have no comparison to make, as I don't know what my regular Summer (Michelin) tyres would have been like in the same conditions, however I'll do my best over the coming Winter months to make what I consider to be relevant observations on performance, wear and economy.

I have noted that road noise is increased quite dramatically - I'd say 10-20% louder. On the other hand, the ride is noticeably softer and the suspension feels more compliant, especially over larger potholes.

In terms of grip, this morning was a good test as I drove about 15 miles on single track roads, which were white because of the frost. The temperature according to the car was between -3 and -4.

Grip was very good, even when I tried to provoke it to let go. At one stage I tried accelerating on a sharpish bend and the car did wriggle around, but a combination of the tyres and the traction control pulled it back together without any drama. I also tried braking hard (with no other traffic around and on a straight piece of road) and there was no activation of ABS, and no sliding at all. I have to say that just the experience this morning has given me more confidence than my previous Vredestein Wintracs ever did, which is nice...

That's it for now. I'll update as and when I feel I have something relevant to report.

Last edited: Monday 5th Dec, 2016
    John Dickson, Nels, 1066Boy and 2 others like this.
  2. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    let us know mileage from these i had falkens before although good grip they didnt last as long the goodyear i am using now

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The reviews do say that the Falkens wear faster than some, but at £90 compared to £140-150 for a premium alternative (there isn't a Goodyear Winter in my exact size) I'm willing to forgive that.

They'll only be on the car for 3-4 months each year, maybe 3k miles a year, so they should last at least three Winter seasons.

honda_saj likes this.
  4. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The cost don't come into it compared to putting your car in a ditch. :Smile:

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

But, the most expensive doesn't always equal the best. That's why I spent time looking at the reviews. The Falkens out performed more expensive tyres in grip and braking, but not in economy and wear.

As grip and braking performance is my main priority, I went for them over the Toyo Snowprox - just!

andy83 and honda_saj like this.
  6. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Totally agree. What I meant was I don't see the logic of some people that will save a few hundred pounds by not
    fitting appropriate tyres and risk crashing a car worth 10 times as much. :shock:

honda_saj and FirstHonda like this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

First real observation on these tyres, having now driven in heavy rain a few times with standing water - both on the motorway and rural roads - is that the wet grip, braking and ability to clear water is astonishing!

The difference between these and the standard (Summer) Michelins has really startled me. They are like somebody is walking in front of the car clearing the water before I get there. Very VERY impressive.

Boober, Nels and 1066Boy like this.
  8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

On Thursday morning, it was -2 here when I left for work, and it had been raining the previous evening.

The rural roads - single track - that I now use were very icy.

The tyres made the car feel like it was a bone dry Summer day. Just incredible levels of grip and especially braking grip, even on a downhill section when I applied the brakes fairly hard as a test. No slippage at all. Amazing. To say they inspire confidence is an understatement.

They don't score well for fuel economy or noise levels, and they may not handle a high mileage as well as some - but they do score at or near the top of the league for cold weather grip, and wet weather grip. That's why I buy Winter tyres personally - they are so far ahead of the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme I had previously it is astonishing.

At £90 a tyre these are a massive bargain IMHO.

Nels, 1066Boy and honda_saj like this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Every time I drive on an icy road these tyres amaze me.

They are just so impressive - and with 1k miles under their belt, they've got quieter too.

honda_saj likes this.
  10. 1066Boy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like you have found a winner there. :Smile:

11. John Dickson Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad you're having a good experience with the Falken HS449 Eurowinter. tyres @FirstHonda

I've got Yokohama WDrive on the Q50 and I'm impressed with them also. I found it a bit of a minefield shopping for winter tyres as there are so many to choose. I got mine from BlackCircles. The Yokohamas were the third set they offered me as they kept finding they were out of stock on other makes. I hadn't noticed they did Yokohama winter tyres as I would have gone for them in the first place as I like Yokohamas.

They are slightly nosier than a summer tyre but that's down to the bigger tread blocks and bigger sipes (the channels in the tread pattern)

We've only had one covering of snow here and it was only 2 inches but I drove straight off the drive and down the street no bother. Yes the rear squirmed under provocation but no problems otherwise. I know I couldn't have done much on the summer 245 Dunlops though!

Winter tyres just give more confidence on frosty/icy roads as well.

People say RWD is crap in winter. It's not, it's the tyres that are the problem.

The only problem I had with winter tyres is the Black Circles appointed garage butchered one TPMS sensor (that they admitted) and couldn't fix it and their attitude was disgraceful. They said if they can't fix it I will have to pay for it to go to Infiniti. Big mistake and I quickly established how it was actually going to work out . It went to Infiniti and Infiniti billed them for it. Once Infiniti saw the car it became apparent they had also cracked a second sensor and superglued it back together and kept quiet about it.

12. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Jason Dudley, UK
    I've only had limited experience with my CR-V in the snow but on both instances when there was a slushy layer I attempted to try and get the 4x4 light to come on and failed. I'd stop the car and then put my foot to the floor. All that happend was I had minimum wheel spin as the car accelerated then traction control would come on briefly. I could only conclude that the car having very little torque and weight doesn't need 4x4 or winter tyres. Has anyone got there 4x4 light to flash up?

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've had the traction control symbol light up a few times on icy roads when provoked.

For me, the Winter tyres are more about braking grip and confidence than drive grip - at least until we have proper snow and I can try that side of things out!

Plenty of interesting stuff online...

14. John Dickson Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just wondering if it is a facelift difference but do CR-Vs not come with mud and snow rated tyres from the factory?
    A mate just bought a new CR-V (he was looking at Mazda CX5 but I talked him into the CR-V) and it came with M +S tyres fitted from the factory,

15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Mine didn't - it came with standard (Summer) road spec Michelins. My sister had a new facelift CR-V recently, and that had Summer tyres from new too.

@155695 has just got a new CR-V and I guess that was the same too, as he has fitted Winter tyres already.

Maybe your friend was just lucky? Or it could be a new policy?

16. Racy Jace Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Jason Dudley, UK
    My 18" have the michelin latitude but I'm unsure if theyre mud and snow tyres. My new 17" wheels are off a 2016 CR-V and have goodyear eff grip SUV M+S tyres.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

John Dickson likes this.
  18. John Dickson Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm wondering, is yours 4WD @FirstHonda ? My mate's is the 1.6iDTEC 4WD 9 speed auto just wondering if that's a reason for the difference?

Interesting article about the differences between tyre types. My Yokohama WDrive are marked M+S on the side wall but also have the mountain and snowflake symbol. People could be running round on M+S tyres with a summer compound then and only find out when they need a winter tyre's performance most that they haven't got it.

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes, mine is 4WD John.

I think the key thing is the snowflake symbol, as that is what defines a Winter tyre I.e. Different rubber compound for lower temperatures.

My guess is that most 'mud and snow' tyres don't have it, as the Telegraph article indicates.

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Just to add - these Michelin Latitude tyres (see link) are the closest I can find to the originals fitted to my CR-V.

They are marked as 'M&S' but are clearly Summer rather than Winter tyres. As the Telegraph article says, no wonder people get confused!

Michelin Latitude Tour HP 225/60 R18 100 H » Oponeo.co.uk