F**king c**ty virus!!

Discussion in 'Steam Room' started by Togger, Monday 23rd Nov, 2009.

1. Togger Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Well i nearly got fucked with a virus today! i was fuming nearly threw pooter out of the window. Thank fook that the girlfriend worked out how to get rid of it, it was a really nasty one that pretended that it was anti virus software and that i had loads of viruses etc. Must have got it when i downloaded that font a mates vinyl logo!

And breath! an hour later and after trawling all through the registry files of my computer and its sorted (i hope!) Thought id lost everything! Off to a get a hard drive tomorrow!!

2. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good thinking, get a new HDD, transfer stuff over, then wipe the current one clean

3. WIlkesyMB6 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Also get some decent anti virus

4. Togger Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yeah its got all my photos from my freelance work and all the vectorised images for my vinyl business! So yeah, nearly shit a brick!

5. Barker Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Roger
    I know what you mean man my nana had this on her computer its a fucking scary one!

It started changing her background and everything!

wouldn't let me on the internet or anything, can't remember how but i managed to get on the internet for like 5 mins and downloaded malware bytes, did a scan with that and got rid of it right away was well pleased!

6. Togger Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yeah it was a righty sod, you could not open any anti virus software, you could not use the 'run' to get to the registry, you could not access the control pannel to add/remove programs i was totally bricking it!

7. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

McAfee Stinger is worth running too.

8. Togger Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ooh thanks, ill keep my eye out for that. Im going to have to look into it properly!

9. ngy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

...im sorry... :Frown:

10. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

worth looking into avast antivirus, free and warns you when downloading if there's a virus and gives you the option of cancelling the download or carrying on (EG if you know it's not a virus just not a certified program/installer) dead handy, keeps my computer running sweet.

11. stevti Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

x2 on that, avast has never let me down. I've had it on my system for best part of 3 years and up to now (touch wood) I've never had any problems.

12. Mrs_Jonnay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Men are useless without girlfriends, fact.

13. TwistedSanity666 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

lol - can you prove that fact?

14. Mrs_Jonnay Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lol. Yes...

15. Gary. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What you don't know is that he only let her on the PC to shut her the fuck up..

16. primiximus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I got a nasty one too last night...Trojen win32 AlureonBK

Fucked up my internet/ DNS settings, thankfully i could do a system restore which sorted it all out.

17. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There's a thread somewhere on how to keep your computer running sweet with minimal programs, could have been on an old forum that got deleted. Definately recommend Avast, it's basically a must, simply because it detects everything as and when, scans incoming and outgoing files, constantly scans webpages you're on and pages you're trying to access as well as updating it's virus database almost daily. Also, CCleaner is handy for just clearing, quite simply, crap. The only downside is that it will wipe passwords and such from sites where you've told it be remember you and such.

Links:

Avast antivirus:

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=mncol

CCleaner:

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Will add more to this list as and when I find out about them :Grin:

18. tombowman12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've had the fake antivirus software virus! It's a right chunt! Glad you got it sorted mate! I had to get a new laptop!

My dads partner is never touching my pc again!

19. Togger Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Noooooooooooo ITS BACK!!! i thought it had gone, but it came up again!!! grrrrrrr It actually stops you from running downloading/installing ANY anti virus software!!! OMG i have a 3 year old version of norton that i can just about to get to work, but i think i could be screwed here!

20. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can you not system restore to a point at which you didn't have the virus?