Engine & Gearbox Extremely in depth B18 build from ITR-DC2.com

Discussion in 'Honda B-Series' started by dozzy, Wednesday 11th Nov, 2009.

1. dozzy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Someone had posted a link to this thread on EK9.org and I thought I'd do the same over here, found it a very interesting read and I'm sure alot of you guy's will enjoy it too..

Props to the guy for doing it, some serious custom work gone into it, I certainly havent seen anyone go that far, particularly with the headwork! He's also explained all the steps very clearly, regardless of wether the outcome was good or bad!

Hopefully he won't mind me posting this on here, If there is any issues I'll gladly remove it.

I've quoted the post so you don't all have to sign up to the ITR site but here is the original thread.

Enjoy :Smile:

2. Stu. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wow that really is an interesting read. As he says, nice to read a proper build rather than posts about new wheels.

3. Porker New Member Getting Started

That welding on the head is mental...

4. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats what i thought, Crazy amount of modifications on this build.

5. ek-greeny Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

awesome mate!!

thats what the tech section is for?

6. captain_sl0w Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. dozzy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Madness isn't it! I'd love to have the knowledge, ability and tools to do something similar myself!

@ Greeny - Have I posted it in the wrong place mate? :Messed:

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 11th Nov, 2009
  8. Vince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like a lot of work and good experimenting going on, but I can't say he's succeeded in anything?

9. tim radley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the comments and link up guys.

Well i succeeded in get about 60bhp more peak power out a uk Integra with a whole load of low end power which is very hard to do. Been promising a couple of friends who use that other forum for a long time that i would put a thread up when i could find a spare hour.

Remember this was done on a Dyno Dynamics dyno and a stock uk ITR puts out 170 at the fly give or take a couple BHP and 180-185 with a full mugen system and induction kit. I did 195 with stock system and just over 230 with my own exhaust plus 145ftlb torque by 3,000rpm. If i want a bigger dyno chart it just needs to go on a dynojet dyno where it would show 250+. Or put in some cams with less midrange and shove another 20 up top. Point of this exercise was to make an Integra have low/mid power without losing peak.

Let me know if you have any questions, i will try and keep an eye on this thread too. Thanks again.

10. Bong Guest

That was really good to read and understand especially for me who doesnt know much about the inner workings of an engine

Whats the company name?

11. tim radley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. My company is called Race Developments, i'm based in Gloucester, UK. I build and develop superbike engines and did this as a project for myself in my spare time hence why i don't mind sharing it as its not secretative at all.

12. LIMER Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

awesome I've never seen that before where you close the bottom of the head up :Smile:

also it shows exhaust is an important thing !!!!

13. battscrxvti Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

wow !!!! how many hours and and swear words went into that ?

14. tim radley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure, didn't keep count but i'd guess the head has a total of maybe 90 hours including the switch of valve sizes and chamber mods plus the flowbench and engine sim time.

No swear words, i'm a very patient person :Smile:

15. LIMER Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

who do you build superbike engines for if you don't mind me asking??

16. tim radley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do head development for a couple of teams in BSB and also across the pond in american superbike series. Also complete engines in BSB, BSS and the stock classes also and map some of these bikes. In 08 my engines won one of the main classes in that championship.

A good percentage of the heads i do these days go to other engine builders in both UK and other parts of the world. This week i have heads in the shop destined for USA, Greece, South Africa and Australia. Its really varied work. Also i do car heads and engines but this is maybe 15% of my turnover only at the moment.

17. jordan-will Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Awesome build. Did you machine & fit the new sleeves yourself?

Not many companies in the UK offer this. Could bring quite alot of work for you.

18. Beau23 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

quality stuff mate! That welding was insane never knew you could do that! Hope all goes well!

19. LIMER Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ahh i see i help out smt honda in bsb this year and next my dad has even produced some suspension parts for them this year good to know your building the engines :Smile:

a bet you've worked on the dynojet mapping systems? then have you dam that stuff is awesome:cool:

20. tim radley Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good good. Who's on the bike next year? Last i heard the team were struggling. Jentin are 5 minutes down the road from me.

Dynojet stuff is great for the money. Most of superstock are using powercommanders but anyone worth it in superbike or supersport is on motec or marelli.