Exhaust System exhaust in wet!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by ste_ep2, Tuesday 3rd Nov, 2009.

1. ste_ep2 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right i have a straight through de-cat to back box,

When ever its wet (that's when it seems to happen) i go to accelerate from 2k RPM, when it hits 3.5k the car violently shakes from 3.5k to 4.5k,

i know its not any engine issue as the shaking is coming from the rear of the car where the mid exhaust mount is,

I've looked under the car this morning and nothing seems unusual,

also when i let of the revs from 4k RPM the exhaust pop's and bangs like mad,

It only seem's to do it when its wet,

The vibration is like a rumble coming from underneith me,

any ideas?

cheers

steve

2. CivicTypeReplica Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

completely normal, completely annoying.

my spec 3 did it on my ep1, my EP3 doesnt seem to do it as much, but different exhaust.

there are 2 theories

1, the water boils and pops against the floor

2, the exhaust pipe contracts on the botom half and so bends towards the floor slightly

there's only a tiny amount of clearance in some places so it's not suprising tbh

solution? keep revs up :Grin:

cheers

3. ste_ep2 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

thanks dude,

it feels like the car is going to fall to bits lol.

4. matwilliams Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it's annoying as hell, maybe stiffer exhaust mounts might help??

mat.

5. Remould Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Mine does the same mate. The exhaust changes shape when the water cools the hot pipe. You'll probably notice a small amount of rubbing where the B Pipe passes under the chassis rail after the Cat.

Nothing much you can do apart from adjusting the centre section to give more clearance.

6. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

my EG did it today when i was leaving work and i could have sworn my exhaust was hanging off lol good info but i think my is banging on a heat shield :/

7. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What the hell are you guys talking about :Messed:

8. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

its just this crazy wierd banging from the B pipe but i think its cuz of the weather and contraction it causes issues with clearance...that doesnt really make sense but the noise is there... im stop pissed posting now bon im sorry...

9. Liam Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

never had that on my ep like

10. CivicTypeReplica Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Depends entirely on system

some pipes like spoon and buddyclub are straightened, for flow, but these tend to catch more

the supersprint pipe tends not to because it is more like stock shape

I used to triple wrap a section of heat wrap just where it passes that point on the floor beam, to quieten the rattle. Worked ok.

I think solution is very stiff engine and exhaust mounts, and make clearance when you mount your b pipe - problem is more floor clearance = less ground clearance, and then when you clout the ground it pushes the pipe up to the floor anyway.

I had to readjust my buddyclub on my ep1 every week or so.

I have only run supersprint on my EP3 and now run DC5 OEM pipe and generally got/get no issues

some people take the b pipe off and put a little dint in it on top where it touches the floor, to make about 5 mm clearance, which more or less cures it

cheers, Sam

11. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

smashing the floor pan to make more clearance? jesus

12. Remould Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Who mentioned doing that?

Sam said about putting a bit of a flat spot in the B pipe to clear the point where it knocks on the underside of the car.

13. mu5k3r Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i had a simular problem on my EG, i found heat wrap was the best solution

14. Bon Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is this something you would do aswell remould?

15. shakman87 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Never happened un my EP2. Although my Spoon was pretty loud anyway and would pop every now and again.

16. Remould Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

What are you getting at mate?

No, i wouldn't recommend doing that (although it would remedy the problem). Ideally the b pipe should have been designed to clear the underside of the car.

17. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

give it a service! this happened to my mates focus st and it was his plugs not sparking properly change them and the leads worth a shot and it aint gunna cos the world is it

18. CivicTypeReplica Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Heat wrap is the best bet, but that is a pain in general cos you scrape it and rip it off on speedbumps, so it costs you a lot in time and hear wrap, and I'm not the sorta guy who likes to spend 2 days in 7 itchy.

The dent in the b pipe will cure the problem and make no difference to engine performance - it's not a very sexy way of sorting it out though.

I suggest that, Bon, you stop hatin', become realistic, and think of a better solution.

Thanks for the help Remould :Smile: