Exedy clutch VS F1 racing stage one clutch

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by Rory C, Wednesday 23rd Dec, 2009.

1. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What would you choose for a standard setup?? I will hopefully be adding a few performance parts over the next year but nothing major.

Does anybody know how the DC2 Type-R flywheels are an upgrade for the B16?

Cheers for any help guys/girls

Rory

2. PooM CivicLife Founder ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Steve Horsham
    Exedy is expensive, but are pretty good. IMO you can get better clutches for cheaper. The F1 Racing Clutches aint that bad, that's what I have in mine. Very grippy and cheap as chips, a great option for a cheap quick upgrade :nod:

I wouldn't go for anything to fancy if you are still running under 200hp :nod:

3. Gary. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What Steve said, anything under 200bhp isn't worthy of anything more than a OEM clutch haha.

4. Bong Guest

No to the F1

Exedy only if its considerably to OEM

5. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers Steve, Theres only about

6. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Bong the exedy is cheaper than OEM, and thats with my staff discount. Im guessing they are the same quality just a different brand?

cheers

7. Bong Guest

Thats what most people will tell you, I did a lot of reading into them and decided to pay an extra

8. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I will research further then, I had heard alot of people using them so kind of assumed they are good.

Cheers for the heads up.

Anyone with any info on the flywheel, i can't find anywhere that tells you what the differance is other than 'ideal upgrade'.

9. Bong Guest

Flywheels you can either get two peice alu (pressed ring) or one peice chromoly

The better brands like Act and Kaiten are one peice, the cheaper more commonly used flywheels like Fidanza and Exedy etc are pressed alu IIRC

Theres usually two weights provided by manufacturers, street spec and race spec

As with anything, depends on how much you want to spend

10. 689r Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get a blueprint ITR clutch, will handle 200bhp no bother and won't freak up like lots of exedy stage 1's.

Also get a 4.4kg flywheel for the ultimate lightweightness.

11. newkid Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

agree with matt, blueprints are meant to be excellent value for money

12. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers Bong & 689r

So what is the differance between the standard B16 flywheel and the standard ITR flywheel?? People are listing the ITR ones as 'an ideal upgrade for a B16' however they don't/can't say what the differances are. Any body know?

Cheers for the info tho, its much appreciated.

13. Bong Guest

Its lighter, wouldn't make as much as a difference as aftermarket and you wouldn't know how many miles were on it unless you trusted what the seller tells you, not that mileage makes massive difference on a Honda flywheel

If I ever need a Honda clutch again i'll be going Blueprint depending on cost, I just got my last OEM clutch very cheap for some reason

Blueprint clutch and a nice low mileage B18C or B16B flywheel would be nice, don't forget your current clutch has done X amount of miles so any new clutch will feel an improvement anyway

14. 689r Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

IIIRC ITR flywheel is slightly lighter than a b16 flywheel, weighing around 7KG.

15. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

^^ hours of internet searching and you 2 have the info i can't find :Smile: THANK YOU!

Thats helped my decision no-end, i can hopefully get blueprint parts at cheap prices through work, now i just need a flywheel :Grin:

I am just worrying that having a good clutch will create more problems, my N/S/F wheel slips and spins all the time, in the wet its leathal for understear going round right handed bends (vans can go round quicker than i can). It doesnt matter what way i pull out of junctions etc, if anythings going to slip its the N/S/F. Now that the clutch is slipping it stops the wheel from spinning but with a good clutch its going to be able to put the power to the wheel so i think its going to cause the wheel to slip out/spin all the time again. Any ideas on this? The tyres are budget ones but have atleast 5mm of tread on them.

Many thanks guys

Rory

16. Bong Guest

What car, tyres, suspension, wheels?

17. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Its a ek4, 15" alloys, kaiser tyres (were on the wheels when i got them) and cheapo coilovers. The coilys were given to me by a mate for cheap slammage untill i get the other bits sorted on it. The car doesnt even have a chance to get any body roll before the wheel is slipping out in the wet and it grips much better going round left hand bends, although its still 'twitchy'.

Would the coilys cause this? i am about to change the lower arms on it over xmas and if that doesnt cure it i will get some D2 camber adjustment top arms. If that doesnt cure it im running out of ideas short of it being the steering rack. The car has had a knock aswell which won't of helped the situation.

Cheers Again

Rory

18. titchcivic Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

i have an exedy clutch in mine and i really rate it. fidanza F.Wheel ftw as well but not very keen on hill starts lol!

19. Rory C Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

what wrong with hill starts titch??

20. Bong Guest

I thought I replied in here!?

Its impossible to say with the combo of cheap tyres and suspension and repaired damage, sort the first two out and get it aligned and see what happens

Hill starts just need a little more revs, as do parking and setting off, thats why I personally wouldn't go for the lightest flywheel like most do