Exhaust System Ev1 exhaust options?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by Soldier456, Monday 5th Feb, 2018.

1. Soldier456 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a 54 plate EV1 which needs a new back box, the old one rusted off at the flange. I can get hold of an EP3 back box off a mate, but have read it's not a straight fit and a bit on the short side. The standard Ev1 exhaust parts seem hard to get hold of. I would consider a SS system if it doesn't cost me the world and sound too over the top. I'm waiting on a call from Honda for a quote on a new box, but imagine it won't be cheap. I have no plans on modding my EV1 once i found out you can't really map them. Booooo

Any advice would be a great help, cheers.

2. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi...
    I am in the process of fitting an EP3 back box to my wife’s ev1.

Due to ill health at the moment it’s on hold. But I will update you when I fit it....
    - - - Updated - - -
    I know it’s been done by members on this forum. Perhaps they may step in here and give some advice?

Soldier456 likes this.
  3. gbb14 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Angel Birmingham
    Did you succeed ?

4. Soldier456 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I opted for a Klarius back box I found using honda part numbers on ebay for about £60. Still no idea if the EP3 box would fit.

5. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ok so will be taking a look at the exhaust soon. Will update once I know any more...

6. gbb14 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I will buy an EP3 backbox today for my EV1 (Type-S).
    By looking at pictures, i would say it is a straight fit. I don't think that the engineers designed a completely new exhaust system between 2 cars that are almost the same.
    Anyone else fitted something like this ?

7. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yes, I have done this. However the flange on the back box is a different size and bolt pattern. I cut the one off my old back box and welded it onto the EP3 box. Was then a straight fit...

8. gbb14 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

can't this be done by drilling a new hole in the midpipe flange and bolting the screws ?

9. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I suppose so. Can’t remember how much of a difference in size between the 2.

10. gbb14 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So , I bought an EP3 aftermarket one (Cobra or cobra wannabe). Anyway, the flange had the perfect dimensions, and also it was fitted loosely , it could pivot left and right up and down. So I fixed it there with the old bolts and screws, and all is fine.
    Basically it's a straight fit, even the hangers were perfectly aligned.

Here are some pictures I took when my hands weren't dirty :Grin:

Sounds great (the midpipe is still the original one with the resonator)

Attached Files: