Epic Starting Fail

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by LiggyL, Monday 4th Jan, 2010.

1. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well, my starter motor has been getting progressively worse in the cold weather and this morning it packed up altogether, just refuses to crank even when tapping with a hammer/after bumping.

Any idea's where's the best place to buy a new one from? I know its likely to be extortionate but I'd rather buy a new one!

2. Tobiasnugent Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can't you get them refurbed rather then buying a new one ?

3. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah suppose, depends how long they take to do it! Will check some local places, euro car parts only stock one for the SOHC VTEC online will have to have a ring round!

4. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorted, picking a new one up tomorrow.

5. Kadir Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How much was a new one dude?

6. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. Kadir Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

no way mine is doing the same thing!

ths morning it sounded like my engine was blown lol but what causes it to get like this???

9. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure if its the battery now tbh, gonna replace that first as A) its easier B) its cheaper and C) its already 2 years old

10. Wipdesigns Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah mine some times doesn't like to start, or rather, dose start but hesitates a tad then builds the revs up progressively instead of just jumping to 1k revs as if its numb from the cold lol

So might be the battery not throwing enough charge to kick alternator over?

BTW Loving your EM1 :Grin:

11. dustyvip Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine is doing the same, think I will get my battery tested first

12. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats what I'm doing the next time I cold start it, gonna get the voltmeter out. TBH I jumped to the wrong conclusion, it bumped fine tonight and once it was warming up it started again fine.

If any of you are looking for a new, decent battery i've been doing the reseach today and the best deal I found was a Varta one with 4 year warranty for

13. Wipdesigns Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dunno who that was aimed at ^^^ but mine normaly cranks first time, but its as if it just manages to kick the engine over just enough that the first piston can fire and kinda lets the engine drag itself to run until about 1-2 seconds into it and then its all fine ticks over fine, weird

14. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry mate, that was aimed at Dusty.

15. MrLatif Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Engines usually function efficiently when they're warm. Oil is also more efficient at slightly higher temperatures. Think of it when its cold and your hand feels like it's frozen and hard to move, very similar engine-wise.

16. LiggyL Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Typical, buy a multimeter... battery is at 12.52v, starts on the key. Saying that despite the snow its a good few degrees 'warmer' than it has been the last week or so!