Ep2 Power vs Type-R Advise

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by Lazar, Wednesday 9th Dec, 2009.

1. Lazar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im stuck and don't know which way to go. Don't know whether to try and get some more power out of my ep2's D16v1 which isn't easy :Frown: im thinkin a custom turbo kit and some uprated parts from www.dezod.com which are meant to be for the d17 engine but from what ppl have said will probably fit the d16v1 as its basically the same engine. But no ones sure because few ppl have bothered to try and get anything out of the the ep2 cus its like trying to get blood from a stone. :Angry:

I've been told a turbo could put the power up to about 200hp but im guessing id need to uprate some engine parts to help cope with the extra power.

Uprated clutch, camshaft, vavle springs, pistons, rods etc but i don't know how far to go with it, uprated camshaft, better flowing exhuast and induction is necassary but would the stock internals be able to cope with the extra power. It would be pretty cool having a turbo ep2 but it could be a nightmare if some parts don't fit and cost a future.

Or should i just be boring and save up for an EP3 lol

2. Bong Guest

I'll tell you what I told the many before you that asked the exact same question about the exact same cars

Turbo on the EP2 will cost a lot of money that you will never see again and will more than likely go pop costing you even more money

Save for an EP3 and have OEM power and reliability but TBH, looking at your age, insurance will say no to both anyway

You have a nice car for your age, save save save

3. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

5. Performancetek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Turbo your ep2 - end up with a car with a reduced resale value/ narrower market, unreliability, essentially no better performance than an EP3

Or buy an EP3 and have something that holds its value and has OEM reliability.

6. Lazar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok thanks, ye i've got afew years before I can go for an EP3, gives me a while to save.

Still think a turbo would be kwl but im not guna throw money at something if theres a good chance its going to be unreliable or blow up. I would of liked to try it if i knew it was going to work reliably but its to risky.

7. Blair Guest

your in the same posistion as me, im almost 19, had the car for a year and already got the induction and coilovers on amongst other stuff, and turbos seriously on my mind, but i know its kind of a waste when in a year or so i shud be able to just take my mods of and put them on an EP3.

I have a friend with a prefacelift EP3, his 19. It cost him 4K a year to insure it....

Just enjoy what you have, put some Coilovers on, nice exhaust and just enjoy looking good haha

8. Bong Guest

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

9. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

+3! EP3 will be cheaper to buy as well as insure in a few years to come!!!

10. Tobiasnugent Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got a quote on a JDM EP3 the white one. With my dad as the main driver with his 15+ years no claims it was eight thousand pounds!

11. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

HAHAH best quote so far lol.

12. Lance Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thats ridiculous!

If i was you mate id forget about modding the ep and buy somthing fast but affordable.

If you turbo a ep you'll only have problems

13. Bong Guest

Yeah thats bad, but that guy paid it,

14. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

15. L.Tang Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Blair, im looking to get a EP3 nxt year and what insurance company is ur mate with with his EP3? and u sed it cost 4k tht with points or anything or no claim bonuses fully comp etc?

16. Lazar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

:surrender Thts conclusive then no turbo.

Sometimes forget what a kwl car it is being 19 and most off my mates drive the usual french sh*t. But no ones ever happy with what they've got always need to improve it or buy sumat better.

Id probs look at geting an EP3 at 21 which gives me a couple of years to save.....Or maybe S2000! but Group 20 duno how bad the quote would be.

For now Guess ill settle for some tints, Type-R spoiler. and get saving. :Smile:

17. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

S2000 is about 200 more to insure normally

18. Andy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Concentrate on handling, and if possible get stuff that you can transfer over to the EP3 if/when you get one.

19. ryanthetriad Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My mate has an EP2, went down the handling route! and it handles pretty well. Handling = cheaper, than going down the power route which is just a waste of money for an ep2 IMO.

20. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

are you set on something modern? watching EP3's at the drag-strip put me off ever buying one :Frown: