Engine & Gearbox Engine reluctant to rev

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by crv2014ex, Friday 16th Aug, 2019.

1. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Hi guys sorry if this has been asked before but has anyone had a CR-V diesel auto not rev after start up. It’s the second time this has happened. Basically start the engine and gentle put your foot on the accelerator and nothing. You can floor the accelerator and nothing just idles. First time it happened the engine warning light came on and AA called. In drive, neutral or reverse just idled. They could find no fault codes and as a last resort did a soft reset by disconnecting the battery terminals and putting a screwdriver across the terminals of the car. That cleared the fault when the battery was reconnected. They could not explain it.
    Just happened again tonight but instead of disconnecting the battery I put her in drive and she moved then in reverse moved and responded to the accelerator. Back into neutral and she could be gently revved.
    She’s a 2017 ex auto 1.6idtec DASP.
    Don’t get me wrong I am not after revving the bowels out of her.

MattBeardless likes this.
  2. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

That may genuinely be worth bringing to somebody with a live diagnostics display-it could be as simple as a faulty TPS (throttle position sensor) in the pedal, meaning the ECU doesn't know the pedal is moving...part of the issue with these fancy electric pedals, though it could be a world of things.

Does it not even try to raise the RPM?

3. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nope just idles as if the pedal has not been touched and you can be pumping it and nothing.

4. MattBeardless Service Team H-Tune Staff

That sounds like a pedal position sensor issue. Have you managed to get a diagnostic machine on it to view the readouts for the value on that when the pedal is moving?

It may be worth going to Honda and asking.

5. Hatter Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Hi Andy
    Shouldn't it still be under warranty?
    I'd take it back to the dealers.
    Agree with Matt that it sounds like something to do with the pedal.
    Hope you get it fixed.
    Take care.
    Peter

6. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Booked in for its annual service on friday so i will mention it then.

7. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dealership could find a fault but don’t think they looked. If there is no fault codes they are clueless, the joys of intermittent faults. Beauty of My Honda you can track the car. Dropped off at 8.15, car sat in car park til 10.45 then moved for service and back in car park at 11.50. Car had an software update and a ATF update. TPM played still buggers on way home and display in kph. Car does not seem as fuel efficient now. Was regularly getting 55mpg on runs now only 46.

8. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    Hello Andy have you got any other honda dealers near, as sounds like current one has not looked at fault cause it might not be a part that you may think, also if i'm right the code might still be there as an old code..
    Thanks
    Andy