Engine & Gearbox ? Engine needed, help ! :( Edix 1.7 Auto

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by CharlieR, Thursday 7th Feb, 2019.

1. CharlieR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom CharlieR Reading
    Hi, the engine in our incredibly useful Edix / FR-V family car died this morning.

I'm looking online for a replacement engine, breakers yards etc, as I have a friendly local mechanic who will fit an engine, if I can find one at reasonable cost. So far the costs are far too much, however, and one company urged caution when sourcing an engine too.

Does any one have any contacts, recommendations, or (hopefully polite :Smile: ) thoughts please as to how best source a reasonably priced replacement engine? Or do we cut our losses? That would be a shame, as it's been a great car, but comments welcome.

Any help is going to be gratefully received, as this is new for me, and not sure what the next step is... especially with a limited budget. We also have three children to cart about and we're fairly well stuffed without the car.

It's a 2004 Japanese import Edix, with 70,000 trouble free miles, until today!

Many thanks

(For info:

Last night I noticed the engine light fluttered, I think it happened when breaking / going down a hill on the way back from work, but it didn't repeat, I thought to myself that I'd keep an eye on it and top up the oil in daylight. Early start to work and no light showing, I drove @30miles on my way to work, but didn't get there.

Came to a slight down hill off the motorway and in a couple of seconds the engine noise rapidly rose, red light comes on, engine went bang. Smoke everywhere, A conrod through the engine casing and, later, a long journey home on the back of a flatbed truck.

AA Recovery guy said that as soon as you see a red light on an older car stop immediately and sort it. Prior to this I'd been driving a Toyota for @10 years off and on, as well as other cars, and never experienced this.

The Edix was a great car though and I'm gutted. It would be great to have it going again.)

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry to hear of your cars sudden engine failure.

The fluttering engine light was the warning that there was an oil pressure problem (probably not enough oil).

There should be plenty of engines on ebay, I believe the engine number you want is D17A2. Search on ebay for "Breaking FR-V" and ask the seller that are breaking 1.7 FRVs for engine price, mileage and warranty.

Personally I would get her repaired, it's very unusual for Honda petrol engine to just go bang like this.

Whilst the engine is out (assuming you decide to go ahead with repair), worth having a fresh timing belt and tensioner put on the replacement engine. The additional labour costs for these shouldn't be much.

Hey! Aren't we always polite :Smile:

Good luck and please do keep us posted.

CharlieR, DrSam and RogerH69 like this.
  3. CharlieR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, thank you for the quick - and courteous :Smile: - reply, it really is appreciated.

I'll get on to this today!

4. Smokingman Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom John LN5
    Hi Charlie.
    Sorry to here of your problem. Not knowing your finances may be buy another FR-V and sell yours for spares or repair, just my opinion.

CharlieR likes this.
  5. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Commiserations, but unless the vehicle is in otherwise tiptop condition then I'd be reluctant to spend all that money fixing it (getting a decent engine, carrying out a belt change and getting it fitted won't be cheap). Not sure how easy it'll be to either obtain or adapt an engine for an auto box?

Last year I sold my 2005 Accord for spares because the engine was damaged by a loss of oil pressure. I couldn't properly repair it for less than about £700 and it was developing a rusty wheel arch problem...

CharlieR likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

@Zebster As long as its the same engine number as the same as current one, there's no need to worry about if it will fit the autobox.

CharlieR likes this.
  7. Zebster Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Happy to take your word for it! Will the engine be JDM-specific?

CharlieR likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

This will need checking by @CharlieR, the UK ones have D17A2 engines.

CharlieR likes this.
  9. CharlieR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, many thanks all for the various comments!

@SpeedyGee - I've been a big fan of Honda's and Toyota's and have had very few issues over the years. I'm gutted all the same that I didn't act on the fluttering light the night before. Fortunately my stepmum didn't need her own car today, so today was ok, and the AA will provide a hire car for me three days next week at no cost. After that is when it becomes 'interesting'!

@Smokingman - We have little or no spare cash at the moment and are not in a position to buy another FR-V (with a working engine) of comparable quality...

@Zebster - The car is otherwise in pretty good order, various people (friends and strangers alike) have commented on what a decent car it is. Or was. Did I mention I was gutted? I could sort £700 though if that was what was needed to get it back on the road, but that would be a stretch at the moment.

@Zebster - Thank you too for the "UK ones have D17A2 engines". I'm sure that will prove helpful, as I noticed before that there were some odd quirks between the UK and grey imports before. For instance, the 1.7 Edix that I have appears to have the light switch stalk on the opposite side to the UK equivalent.

I was hoping to log on at lunchtime, but no luck with that, and having just got in recently from work I've not been able to reply to you all before now and say thank you - so thanks again, it really is appreciated.

I did see some 1.7 engines on ebay first thing, so I'm off to check them out online now!

Thanks again

10. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello @CharlieR Sorry about the sudden engine failure. Please let us know how you get on. Hope you find a good engine and get it resolved soon.

CharlieR and Smokingman like this.
  11. CharlieR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No luck :Frown:
    I've gone through ebay, gumtree and elsewhere today.
    I am waiting to hear back from a few contacts made, here's hoping for good news!

12. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Are you only searching breakers near you? Birmingham is full of Japanese car breakers, might find something there.

CharlieR likes this.
  13. CharlieR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @DrSam , that's useful to know, many thanks!

I spoke with and emailed a few breakers, some were based in Birmingham :Smile: There are 2.0 litre petrol and also diesel engines out there from £200 and up - but nothing for a petrol Edix 1.7 so far. One guy in Ireland says he has one, just waiting to hear back.

In the meantime a friendly local mechanic has a Citroen C3 1.3 diesel, 2006, where he's just replaced various bits on it prior to sale. It's 143,000 miles, however, and I've never considered purchasing a car with such high mileage. It runs OK and might well tied us for a few months...

14. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

CharlieR and honda_saj like this.
  15. CharlieR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @DrSam many thanks for these. The first two I'd already contacted, waiting to hear back from one of them. The third is new to me though, so I've sent them a message as well, and will keep looking.

I've sent you a PM as I see you're a Club Moderator, trust that that's OK.

Thanks again!

16. CharlieR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Might be there, a few helpful responses, a couple of possibles. I've been looking for an engine number / VIN for my car, but all I can find so far is shown on the photo attached.
    "Type 17X
    SJD5 3AO NH623MX-U-S"
    Does this help identify the engine? Thanks again!

Attached Files:

17. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    you could try breakerlink as well

CharlieR likes this.
  18. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Engine number is on the engine, its around about in the area I've marked in dashed lines on this pic :-

upload_2019-2-15_7-18-27.

You are looking for the stamped words D17A or D17A2 (fingers crossed it's the latter)

Matt at H-Tune and CharlieR like this.
  19. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

Of course its okay, PM responded to :Thumbup:

CharlieR likes this.
  20. CharlieR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, only just been able to return to this, due to having been short staffed at work :Frown: ...

@SpeedyGee you mentioned "This will need checking by @CharlieR, the UK ones have D17A2 engines."

My Edix is grey import - the engine shows the stamped words D17A, not D17A2. Thanks for picture by the way, made it very easy to find

So long as I stick with D17A I'll be OK, or would D17A2 be compatible?

Back to this with a (mild) vengence, so thanks again :Smile: !
    - - - Updated - - -
    @DrSam I'm really grateful for the detailed PM provided, massively helpful, and thank you again :Smile:

As for the links provided, one I'd seen, one was new to me. As for the first link, I do fully appreciate that due to the volume of orders that 247Spares will get good and bad customer reviews, like a lot of big companies I suppose, but due to my own personal circumstances, and finances too, the online reviews meant I have not contacted them on this occasion.

If anyone has had a good experience with 247Spares though please let me know!

DrSam likes this.