General Engine Management Light & Limp mode

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by accord1108, Monday 16th Jan, 2017.

1. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Hello,
    The Engine Management Light appeared on the dash this evening while travelling from work, and suddenly the car went into limp mode, i was travelling at around 60mph, and traveled a distance of around 2 mile when it occurred.

I checked the car for oil, this was ok. In the manual it states that it could be related to emission control system, fuel system sensors. One test it mentioned was to start and stop the car three times consecutively, this didn't remove it, i assume this is a fix for an air lock/fuel starvation issue.

I have the car at the honda garage and it will be checked in the morning with code reader.

I know the definite answer will be from the code reader, but have any of you seen this before?
    I hope it isn't a major problem, or at least expect not, at 88000 miles.

I drove the car to the garage, and while doing so the battery light came on and the engine oil light. i immediately stopped the car, again the oil level was ok. Once restarted, these were off, but the EML still remains on.

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    When you start and stop the car that is (in some manufacturers definition) called a drive cycles. Three drive cycles will clear a temporary fault. So those instructions were to see if the fault is temporary and clears after three drive cycles.

As you say really need the code/s read to determine what is going on.

accord1108 likes this.
  3. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    The fault turned out to be low fuel rail pressure, I didn't get the code off the garage when I spoke to them.

They replaced the fuel filter and were to take the car for a test drive and see if the fault stayed away, I'm hoping this resolved the problem. I am to collect the car tomorrow.

It may be bad diesel? I filled it the day before the fault occurred.

Garage have said that they have seen this previously

4. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Did they use genuine Honda filter?
    This type of thing is common with non Honda filters.

5. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Yes,it's a Honda authorised repair centre.

The one that was in it is genuine Honda, about 7 months old,

Nels likes this.
  6. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    If ifs not genuine will cause more problems

these are the main causes:
    Weak fuel pump,
    clogged filter or screen,
    restricted fuel supply line
    Faulty fuel pump driver module
    Faulty fuel pressure sensor

On some vehicles there is a point where you can check pressure using a gauge

Matt at H-Tune likes this.
  7. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    P0087 was the fault code, filter changed, driving ok since.

8. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    excellent thanks for posting update wish everyone else would

accord1108 likes this.
  9. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Hello
    This code has reoccurred recently again, twice, P0087.

The first time i was stopped with engine running and engine warning lamp appeared along with engine oil lamp. Turned off and on the engine and the oil light went off, the ewl remained on. Stopped and started the car a number of times and the ewl turned off.

There is a brake service tool/reader here which we have for a car with electric handbrake
    https://www.auteltech.com/MaxiService/401.jhtml

I connected this in and went to obd11 page, 1 code found p0087, whether right or wrong i erased this code.

Then driving the next day after about 20 miles ewl and limp mode, same fault, i cleared it, it hasnt occurred since. I think the reason for car not going to limp mode the first time was due to me being stopped?

I changed the fuel filter today, cut old one open and its clean, no trace of dirt. So thats not the issue, Less than a year since i changed previously, 16000 miles.

There may be information that this reader can't detect/read, im not sure. I will see how it goes once the filter has been changed.

Are there any other causes of this?

18 months since i first had this issue, it may be something intermittent and not related to the filter at all.

10. noor Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

11. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Still have P0087 coming up, very sporadic, it can go weeks without displaying,

Is there anything i can determine through the freeze frame data?

12. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Would anyone know the part number of the fuel pressure sensor

13. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Honda only sell it complete with fuel rail. Part # 16610 R3LG01 the price is high for that part!
    Bosch sell the sensor separately.

Matt at H-Tune and Nels like this.
  14. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

andy83 likes this.
  15. Domm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello,
    In my knowledge, faults in fuel system in honda dtec engines can be quite critical to all system components. In local forum, there was a case where fuel pump literally ground itself, releasing metal particles and contaminating the system. Not saying this is your case, but it is really worth showing it to the professional and inspecting internal part of the pump as they (CP4 model from bosch) tend to fail in various car brands.

16. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Just to add closure to this issue with my car. P0087 fault code.

It was the metering valve on fuel pump. I had this replaced about a couple of months ago.
    upload_2019-8-14_22-44-12.

17. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Good man for coming back with information like this, its great to hear that you have it sorted and the car is running well again,
    Was the metering valve expensive?

accord1108 likes this.
  18. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Price of the valve was around 200 plus vat. supplied from Bosch distributor . Labour and diagnostics on top of that.

Looking online, one could have been purchased far cheaper than that. Its the most i have ever had to spend on the car in 3 years of ownership, so not complaining, I was happy once the problem was sorted, and a fairly minor issue at that.

I do most of what I can myself, i had thought at one stage to replace fuel rail pressure sensor to see would it resolve issue, i would only be wasting money going through that route of elimination.

Matt at H-Tune and Bounder like this.
  19. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    I hope, that this FMV was the only problem. If still fuel pressure errors occurs - the cp4 fuel pump is going to fail.

20. accord1108 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Michael Eire
    Valve has been changed 3 months now, within that time the fault hasn’t occurred.
    In my opinion with how intermittent the problem was, it was most likely related to something restricting fuel at those times. I believe if it was fuel pump related, it wouldn’t have been an intermittent problem.

On the basis of it being fault free since the metering valve was changed, I think I can say at this time that the problem was the valve, before changing it, p0087 was happening daily.

Bounder likes this.