Engine Conversion Descision.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by 1964, Saturday 21st Nov, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Right guys. Got me a half decent EJ6 coupe. Want to turn it into a bit of a sleeper, not overly fussed about the exterior for now, but the engine is where I'm having some issues. Basically, I want to swap it out or mod the tits off it. I want it to be a fun drive though, and I'll pick up a run around while it's being built. But basically I've got five or so choices on my mind and I'd like to know everyone's opinions and thoughts and the possible pros and cons of each. I'll stick my thoughts in as well but..I'd like some forum feedback too? I haven't got a job at the moment BUT I am mid application to a good few and the wages are between

2. Vince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How much, realistically, do you plan on spending on this?

3. mr roboto Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i wud go iver B18 or B20 if i was you

4. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If I'm honest, I'm not too sure but I'm perfectly willing to put whatever it takes into it to get it up to standard. But If I had to say a price, I'd say probably most I'd push it to before thinking more carefully is maybe

5. Barker Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Roger
    I say DOHC whatever happens, not sure what the B20 is, I just like the sounds of the K20 though lol

6. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

IIRC, B20's are outta old skool 'ludes? not sure, but I know they are beastly.

7. dozzy Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nah the B20 from a Lude is different, to do a B20 VTEC Conversion you need the bottom end of a B20 out of a CR-V, mated to a B series VTEC head

8. Vince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

9. Barker Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Roger
    Im with vince man, K20 with a nice fat cat back 'zaust, om nom

BAAAAA BABABAABABA, VTEC Y0 N ALL THAT SHIZZ.

10. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ahh right dozzy, cheers for clearing that one up :Grin:

And Vince, sounds fair enough, what did you go for again in your EK?

And Lewis, I know you like K20. in fact if it has VTEC you'll marry it. XD

11. Barker Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Roger
    (L) tehz vay tekk

12. Vince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I went for a B18C6 with Darton sleeves at 85mm (brings it up to around a B20's displacement), stroker crank to bring it up to a 2.2. Fully forged bottom end combined with a B16A2 cylinder head with uprated valve train.

13. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh right, okay...I remember reading your build up and seeing it was masses of work but you did go pretyt much all out, which is what I'll probably do when I get round to it. What do you reckon, for the money is as satisfying or, if you could have, would you have gone k20?

14. Vince Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not sure really, either engine will be fine. I don't think a 10k budget would cover a fully built, turbo converted and installed K20 though. Not a decent spec anyway.... well maybe just, but there's always more than just engine that needs doing. I went for B series because I already had lots of parts lying about that I could use and because there's more parts available for B series in general, not to mention the engine drops straight in.

15. Barker Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Roger
    Tbh Ash it sounds like you should go with whats easiest, without keeping your original motor of course. Itd be a right butt fuck to get a motor orderd and stuff and run out of funds or get stuck half way through and have to abandon tehz project

16. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is why i'm more tempted by the B18 to be honest, as it seems a lot easier and i've heard many good things about them whereas I've not heard as much about K20 swaps. But yeh the 10K is just a figure for what I want to be throwing at what's under the hood, that's not including the rest of the car and such. Only reason i'm suggesting such a ludicrous figure is because I have a knack for saving plus, by the time I've got all that cash I'll have enough years on my own policy to insure a 1.8 Coupe :Wink: It's all in the works :Tongue: But yeh, I suppose a 1.8 swap would work a lot better and with some relocation of certain items as you did, a lot cleaner too :Tongue:

And yeh Lewis, that's the idea hopefully, make life easier. I don't want to blow all my money on it but seeing as I'm still living at home and my xbox is being the gay, i might as well throw money at the car and hope something happens. :Tongue:

17. Barker Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Roger
    why don't you start by stripping it to shit?

Surely someone will wanna buy your rear seats providing they have no cum on them.

18. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As said, the ball will begin rolling when the money begins rolling in. But for now, I'm keeping it as is because i'm still going through the everyone wants to go where i'm going phase. But once I have another car, yes, this'll get stripped out like a bitch.

19. lee4391 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd get a few years on yourself and your no claims then start thinking about engine conversions mate, its hard enough to get insured as a young driver nowadays, i mean i pay

20. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^^ yeh, we're gonna do the latter option, wait a little and acquire as many parts if not all and once we've got it all then begin putting it together :Grin: Plus once we get that far, I might consider SORNing it for a little while, take it to some track days and such, maybe go all track car on it but keep it looking fresh. I'm aiming for an EK at some point so maybe once I've got all the parts for this and start ripping it apart, I'll look at getting an EK as a run around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.