Engine & Gearbox Engine clicking on idle

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by ManilaGorilla84, Saturday 11th May, 2019.

1. ManilaGorilla84 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Jamie Young Cambridge
    Saw a video on YouTube about engine clicking and that it's a sign of cams not getting enough oil and causing excessive wear. But that was for an Evo engine.
    I have the 1.4 i-VTEC and wanted to know if this is normal or should I expect my engine to blow up soon?
    I've had the car 4 years as far as I know it's always made that noise and it's been serviced to schedule by a Honda dealership too.
    Any advice is welcome and if needed and home fixes appreciated too. Cheers J

2. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    The nature of Honda's use of solid lifters in the valve train tends to make the engines a bit noisy especially when cold. I really can't comment on your particular case. If its done it for four years and run well chances are that its fine - just keep up on oil changes and valve adjustments per schedule as you have been doing.

3. SayamaAccord Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Cliff County Durham
    If the valve clearances need adjusting I'd suggest you put that job on the back burner for now and get your first oil change and service out the way first. It's not particularly urgent.

4. ManilaGorilla84 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Jamie Young Cambridge
    Thanks for the advice. The car has done 63k miles and isnt due a service until September. Guess I'll keep an eye on it and make sure the clicking doesn't get louder. And monitor engine performance is MPG and if it starts to drop off get it in or check the valve clearance myself.