Engine & Gearbox Engine change's - 1.5lsi to a 1.6 sohc vtec

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by PowellyEG, Friday 13th Nov, 2009.

1. PowellyEG Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok guys where to begin, I don't have the cash to do a B (DOHC) engine in my Civic.

I have a 1.5 Lsi EG, and a mate has got a 1.6 VTEC (SOHC) outta an old coup he getting rid of, so I need some help in the wireing department...

What do I need??

Has any one done this ?? is it worth it???

Answers on a post card and send to POBOX Bluepeter....LMFAO...

Nah seriously guys im considering an engine swap and have a mechanic that can help do it but not to clever with the wireing...

Thank guys...

2. Pearse Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

make sure you have the loom and the ECU mate and just crack on, should drop straight in.

3. scullygt Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom daniel brum
    Where in brum are you based?

4. wanstar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

if its a 1.6 VTEC out the EK coupe then arent they obd2 where as the EG is obd1.

5. JoeLSi Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

You would need:

Engine + ancillaries

Interior + engine loom

ECU

So it's quite a job for only an extra 30/40 HP

6. LIMER Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

depends what coupe it is EK or EG??

7. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

if your gettin it for cheap then do it, i just put a d15b in my lsi, its worth it..

you need everything basically except for driveshafts etc.

engine and gearbox

engine loom

interior loom (with everything, fuse box etc, it goes from the headlights, into the dash then back to the rear seats)

and you'll need the ECU.

if you havtn done a loom swap before itll take about a day to do it with a friend ( you have to take ALL the interior out, bar the roof lining, you;; get that done and the looms swapped in a day, doubt you'll get the interior back in tho.)

once you've changed the looms, then unplug the engine from everything (coolant hoses + fuel lines etc)

then get an engine crane (make sure your doing this on concrete out of the rain)

then unbolt your hubs ball joints and suspension lower arm.

pull the driveshafts out of the gearbox.

then unbolt the exhaust manifold from the cat.

then jack the car up a little bit. put a jack underneath the sump (with some wood inbetween)

then chain the engine up to the crane, take up the slack and unbolt the mounts.

once you've done that , drop the car down, lift the engine out and do exactly backwards to put the new one in :Smile:

8. graham27 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Whit! You don't need all that. You need the part from the headlights, to the fusebox in the car behind the dash - you don't need the rest of it, thats all the same. You can unplug the OBD1 loom at the fusebox, whats the point in changing all the wiring to another loom when its the same as the one in the car already :Tongue:

9. Jonnay Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

yeah you can even cut the headlight loom and reconnect it to your original one, thats what i did with my lsi back in the day, i just had the ns engine plugs to ECU plugs, then to the drivers internal fuse box. i had mine converted running and driving about the same day :Smile:

10. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

To be honest you have to take everything out anyway, so if you think about it , changing the bit from the fusebox to the rear connector is such a small job then does it really matter? I'm just giving some advice on how I did it, we got it running in a day( with a few very minor complications due to silly mistakes)

11. _JT Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Take into account the extra costs that come with the swap:

- Waterpump

- Tensioner

- Timing belt

- PS, alternator and maybe AC belt

- Oil

- Oil filter

- Spark plugs

Possibly:

- CV joint covers

- Clutch

- Respray for valve cover

- Spark plug leads

- Maybe a few gaskets

Those are all little things but can sum up to a significant amount of money.

12. esi_al Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

so basically its a whole new loom then?? :Messed:

i have the esi loom engine side, is that a total mismatch?? is there no way of rewiring from the plugs in the engine bay side??

i'm also interested in doing this conversion...

13. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

seriously bud, yes its a new interior loom, but don't be scared, just lleave yourself enough time.

it really isnt a hard job at all, just label everything if your scared.

don't do it if you have no idea what your looking at , because it is very easy to fuck up if you have no idea what your doing.

you don't have to buy all those service parts if your engine has had a good service, i have no idea why he thinks you have to change the clutch when you swap an engine.........or respray the valve cover??

kids these days...

14. sohc Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

pm kendell of my friends list, he wil have it fitted and running VTEC in an evening mate

15. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

has kendell got 8 arms ? :Tongue:

16. PowellyEG Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^^LOL....thanks for the advice guys...

17. esi_al Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lol @ pitty.

what he said ^^^

*starts looking for complete esi loom :Grin: *

18. PittStop Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

anyone ever needs some help im happy to tell you what i know :Smile:

19. Boz. Guest

Pm me and ill give you my mobile number. Then i can tell you exactly what you do and don't need.

20. jap_crazy Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

jay just bring that bag of nails down mine and me and dave will have it dun in a day.

i got a full conversion for your car here looms gearbox engine ECU the lot