Engine & Gearbox EM light-knowledge and advice welcome

Discussion in 'Honda F/H-Series' started by matt park, Saturday 29th Oct, 2016.

1. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Anyone got any ideas about this one?
    I was driving today at about 50mph when my revs were clipped, almost like a limiter had been put in or like it does when you really over rev it. It did it at 3200rpm and then engine management light came on. I pulled over and turned her off then on again. EM light stayed on but the limiting at 3200rpm had resolved itself.

I drove for another hour, stopped for a bit, carried on with the EM light still on. I noticed that the idling was a little different. If i reved it in neutral then let the revs drop it dropped way below what it normal idles at (about 700rpm) but didn't cut out.

Drove for another hour then stopped and it seemed to right itself. The EM light went out and she seems to be ok now but i want to know what it may be.

Any ideas on what to investigate or what it might be??

2. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    Hard to say, engine can go into limp mode for few reasons. I would recommend getting car read through OBD2 for any stored fault codes.

matt park likes this.
  3. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Ok, will do.
    Are the readers on ebay ok? There are a few around the £20 mark

4. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    I bought my ELM327 from amazon based on how many positive reviews it had, there are so many of these around, all of them are 'fake' copies, so you could end up with a dodgy one that could burn out or short your car circuitry. Be careful of ebay.

matt park likes this.
  5. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Righto
    - - - Updated - - -
    Which one did you get? There are loads.....i'm guessing i need the Torque pro app on my android too right?

6. exec Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom London
    I can't find the exact one I bought but it looks a lot like this:

Bluetooth version and yep you need a Torque or another OBD2 app.
    - - - Updated - - -
    For some reason Amazon links don't post up.

Search for this on Amazon.
    Pumpkin Mini ELM327 OBD2 OBDII V1.5 Bluetooth Diagnostic Interface Scanner for PC/PAD/Mobile

matt park likes this.
  7. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I am using a £4 eBay EML special and works fine. Btw if you have an iPhone you will need wifi version not the Bluetooth

matt park and exec like this.
  8. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Ok. Ta lads. I've ordered the interface and got Torque Pro on my phone. I'll give it a whirl when it gets here.

Thanks for your help

Matt

9. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The symptoms sound familiar to something I experienced for a while. I bet you that the fault codes point to the EGR valve being stuck or faulty. But as above Torque pro and the an ELM327 and you can't go wrong for basic diagnostic info.

matt park and Fiskekutteren like this.
  10. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I did wonder about that. Maybe it needs another good clean out

Harvey likes this.
  11. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's probably what it is. revs drop to about 500, runs like a bag of spanners.

matt park likes this.
  12. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Ok...i'm on it. I'm interested to see what the ELM327 reckons it is

exec and Harvey like this.
  13. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

obviously there are better things out there, for example the Honda HDS HIM systems. And to a lesser extent the clone systems out there, which for the average joe is a fantastic money saving tool.
    I had on my old Vauxhall Astra F (3rd Generation) a problem with the SRS Airbag which turned on the light for it. Most garages wanted a large amount of money to hook the then 18 year old car up to the computer. I found a clone of a dealer level tool called OP-Com (for Opel) and Vaux-com for Vauxhall. Cost me £25 and I was able to diagnose the fault with the system as being a faulty Squib, replaced it with a used one, reset the light and hey presto, more happy motoring for the sake of £25.

matt park and exec like this.
  14. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did you get this sorted @matt park and also did you find a blanking plate for the switch, as I still haven't been able to locate an accord without cruise in my area

matt park likes this.
  15. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Hey Harvey....i got the blank plate, thanks for asking.

As for the OBD2 reader i got one and it came up with the fault code P1259 which it reckons was an engine coolant system valve short to ground.

Having looked online itbcould be a solenoid problem or even low oil pressure. She's going in for an MOT soon and my mechanic is gonna check it out.

exec and Harvey like this.
  16. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

|||| P1259 (22) ||||| VTEC system malfunction ||||| s VTEC Solenoid valves Open or short in VTEC solenoid valve circuits VTEC pressure switchs Open or short in VTEC pressure switch circuits ECM/PCM ||||| Section 6 ||||

According to the ESM that's what the code means.
    - - - Updated - - -
    could also indicate low oil pressure too
    - - - Updated - - -
    upload_2016-11-11_19-54-12.

exec and matt park like this.
  17. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Oh wow!! That's mega. Ta very much!!!
    I'll have a look at that tomorrow

Harvey likes this.
  18. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

no probs mate, glad to be of service. Check the valve and associated wiring, make sure there are no damaged wires too.

legend-ary likes this.
  19. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I had a quick look and the wires seemed to be ok. But i'll inspect further tomorrow.

Thanks again Harvey, top man
    - - - Updated - - -
    By the way, where do i get hold of that ESM???

Harvey likes this.
  20. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can't exactly remember who I got it off, but I'll let you know. I've got physical discs, but I know I downloaded it.

matt park likes this.