Introductions Elan Fan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Tim Wikes, Thursday 8th Aug, 2019.

1. Tim Wikes Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Tim Gt Dunmow
    I have just bought a 2005 2nd Generation Facelift CR-V . This has replaced an aging but much respected 1998 Ford Explorer, which did 14 years of sterling service as a work horse for my wife's business, towing our 2 ton racing yacht and transporting me for country sports. We no longer need to tow the boat but still require a load lugger and occasional 4x4 capability. In the past I have had a 1st Generation Accord hatchback as a car to leave at the railway each day and family members have had a series of Civics, all of which I have enjoyed driving.

We found the car at a car supermarket style operation, who did a good job in preparing it to our satisfaction. Although the car has done 120k miles, it only did 18k miles in its first six years and comes with a complete, invoiced full Honda main dealer service history, which is fairly remarkable. It is the 2.0l Auto SE Executive version, all still in standard configuration. I believe the colour to be Milano Red, but it looks more maroon metallic to me! We are likely only to do around 3k miles a year in it, so it should be reliable. My daily driver is a 2007 Jaguar XK convertible, so I do not anticipate needing to modify the CR-V in any way for performance.

Couple of questions for the experts. In the attached photo of the underside of the car a small rubber strip can be seen hanging down. I am carrying an injury (sailing!) at the moment which means I am unable to wriggle down under to investigate further, but I do know it is rubber. What is it and should it be hanging down? It may be a rubber packing piece that has come adrift and needs putting back in place? In the other attached photo is a small plastic hook, one of three in the rear compartment; two on each side of the rear door jambs and the third on the inside of the rear door itself. I guess they are tie downs for something but anyone know what, specifically? Or are they there to use in conjunction with the D rings on the boot floor?

Lastly, why Elan Fan? I am afraid I get my anorak out for the 1960s Lotus Elan, writing articles on it for the Club Lotus News magazine and helping the factory archivist re-build and maintain the records for the cars, all in my spare time.

Tim

IMG_0149 (2).
    IMG_0145.
    IMG_0143.

2. Tim Wikes Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can answer one of my own questions. Having read through the handbook, the hooks in the back, all five of them, allow one to hang shopping bags from them so they do not roll around spilling their contents on the floor of the boot.

The wife will be pleased ...

3. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    hello mate just a quick question when was gearbox fluid changed :Smile: ...

4. Tim Wikes Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

160k service carried out Dec 17 at 100k miles; 12k service carried out Nov 18 at 114k miles, both by Marshall Honda Leicester. I rathe assume one or other of those services would entail gearbox oil change.

Why do you ask, andy?

5. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hello mate reason for asking it is important it changed but often seems to be forgotten about, also if i'm right it not included in standard service...

6. Tim Wikes Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, I shall check on the service schedule.

I am aware of the sense in changing the oil in the automatic transmission. It is the same for the ZF auto gearbox on the XK; they claim it is sealed for life, but most folk reckon that life is good for 60-70k miles!

andy83 likes this.
  7. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

mate for sure the honda auto gearbox has dipstick and drain plug on this CR-V....