Engine & Gearbox EK9 steering rack swaps

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by dannyboy205, Sunday 22nd Nov, 2009.

1. dannyboy205 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Im planning on swapping a EK9 steering rack into my ek3, i can pickup the subframe with the steering rack and a pump for pretty cheap, is there anything else i need and is this worth while? Should i just fit the rack using my standard subframe and pump, or would i benefit more fitting the other EK9 parts.

As the current ek3 steering is very light and not that responsive im trying to make it a tad better as i can't upgrade to a Type-R yet :Frown:

Thanks Dan

2. Charlay Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

i swapped just the EK9 rack into my EJ9 and everyone works fine. all fittings the same, all bolts up/connect and plug in etc.

Although it was quite a pain from under the car without changing the subframe, its a funny twist and squeeze job to get it into the subframe. doing it with a subframe swap will be a bit easier.

also im 95% sure all Civic/teg PS pumps are the same apart from the brackets for fittin them to the engine and adjustment etc. i didn't bother but still got a much better feel, quicker ratio and generally nicer rack

3. dannyboy205 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ahh ye i had a look and i can see how its done, i think ill invest as the EK9 racks are cheap and the ek3 steering is just poor and feels too light.

Thanks Dan