EJ9 Timing Belt Question

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by Immy, Friday 13th Nov, 2009.

1. Immy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey people,

I was looking to change my timing belt on my EJ9 on a 2000 plate. What do i actually need as part of the kit as i've got Honda saying that i just need the belt, the tensioner and spring? Also do i need the camshaft pulley that the actual belt goes on?? Sorry if I've said anything wrong as i'm not an expert lol.

Regards

2. kahn_v Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i belive you just need the belt.

i may be wrong but some one correct me?

3. Immy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i think you need the tensioner to, to be safe and also do i need the water pump replaced??

4. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you have the belt off, best do the waterpump just in case, it's an ass to have to pull it apart again.

I didn't bother with the tensioner as it was a year old.

You need; belt, tensioner (with the spring) + waterpump. and then you're fine. But if you fancy, do the altenator belt too. :Grin:

5. eg5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's just the belt that we change at the honda dealer ship i work for, the water pump gets check when the belt is off as does the tensioner. Don't really get to many problems with either unless they are making a noise or leaking coolant

6. Immy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

oh ritee, how much labour normally charged at honda dealership for timing belt change? one of the dealers goes that changing the water pump is recommended as it puts tension on the bearings because of the new belt?? Is that true? lol

7. SeanEK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Whats the mileage?

If its high mileage id change the tensioner and water pump, but if its below 80K id just check the condition of them, if all is good id just change the belt alone

8. Immy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

mileage is 54k so not to bad i guess.. Has anyone on here used TGM sports before?? Any reviews or comments..

9. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

TBh its false economy not to change the tensioner at the same time, its worth doing it rightt he first time round, the water pump shouldnt need changing on that milage, but again if it was me, better to do it now than need to do it later down the road

al9955