EJ9 Leaking

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by Michael, Saturday 5th Dec, 2009.

1. Michael Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I bought my EJ9 with this problem, water is pooling in the passenger side footwell. It's coming from somewhere near the front end, cause it's draining from my firewall.

Common problem? Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for any Help,

Michael.

2. jdmek Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Adam London
    check the drain plugs in the skuttle panel where the wiper motors are located. if these get blocked it will overflow into the passenger compartment.

3. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got a similar problem with my EJ6 Coupe, except i've got water pooling in my spare wheel well, it's all wet, the jack in there is soaked, the carpet, the wood, the waters started sloshing around and has now begun to wet the rear bench seat!?

4. Liam Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

check your sunroof drain if it has?? also does your car use water(coolant)? if yea could be a heater matrix problem

5. Jono Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yours is more than likely coming from the plastic numberplate recess or a leak from the rear lights (make sure the foam is in good condition)

6. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeh, had a look, wasmeant to be lowering the car today but so tired (see steam room) but was looking into it last night, could be the seal around the lights as well...might just do the old bucket of water trick and see where it's leaking from and pluyg it up...

7. chelt_scene Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

kitty litter ftw :Tongue: hahaha

8. Mattharvey12 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

is it the top of the lights where it runs down the boot that you need to re seal?

9. 1964 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think so, not a hundred percent sure yet but that's more likely than not

10. O'Neal Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've got the same problem with mine at the moment, passenger footwell is soaking wet! Smell of it really putting me off wanting to go out in the car!

I drove around for a week or two with my side skirts off the car, that's when i first noticed it. I've put them back on since, but the leak still hasn't gone away. Could that have done anything to have caused it?

11. J18 RSA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

no not rfeally heater matrix would be worth looking into also jack it up and see if there is any thing untoward, silly question you don't send your car through an auto car wash and leave the blowers on do you

12. allyEK91 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Michael, check the seal round the windscreen as this happened on my mates focus and the seal had split at the bottom of the windscreen, had it re-sealed and has never had anymore problems,

now i think about it actually i'm sure he just put some gaffa tape over the slit lol

13. dannyboy205 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I had this leak, it is usualy where the drain pipes are from the skuttle pannel down the side of the chassis to the floor ( they are hidden behind the front quarter panel i think) and if they get blocked up and there is some heavy rain the water will just leak through the firewall and behind the glovebox area. Then it runs down the door card usualy or the side of the dash and ends up in the passenger footwell. You can try clear out the drainage pipes with some hot water or pipe cleaners maybe?

The boot is either the rear lights, if you take the interior trim out you can see the rear lots are bolted in, and there is a foam gasket around them that makes a seal, this can leak sometimes, or in my case if you take the rear bumper off and the interior trim you will see a small airvent either side of the boot. You will only see these if you take the rear bumper of, these can leak when water runs down the boot and under the bumpers to drain away, and water can drip through and it will end up sitting in your spare wheel well.

What i did was have to take the back seats out to get the rear panels out and all the boot panels out.then take the rear bumper off, Then make sure the airvents are in tight then use a sealant gun around the edges, ill try get sum pics to help explain.

14. donzo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Take door cards off.

Inspect plastic sheet.

Fix if necessary.

This cured my problem.

15. primiximus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

On my last coupe there was leak coming from one of the vents in the rear panel.

Pretty common on the coupe's